What's new

Speaker Setup Problem. (1 Viewer)

Derek Duncan

Stunt Coordinator
I just upgraded to a Sony 550 DVD player, and I already had a Sony digital ready reciever. Well my problem is, the front surround speakers are too low, I can't find anything in the book for both the player or the reciever, I know this isn't a top notch setup, but all I can afford at the time. The speakers match, so does the wire, it is hooked up correctly( I'm not that dumb). But the problem is, that that the center,back ,surrounds, and woofer are all louder than the fronts. For example, on Superman the Movie, when Jor-el is speaking to Superman in the fortress in the new scene, when the film switches to the side shot, the voices enter the side speakers, and you can barely hear a thing, what could this be, I have even switched some to my friends speakers, and it still had a problem. Does anyone have any idea of theings to try.
Derek

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Look at the setup menu on your receiver.
All of these receivers allow you to adjust the center and each rear speaker volume up/down a bit from the main volume control.
The manufacturer knows that we dont all sit in the center of a perfect circle of speakers. So they allow you to make this adjustment.
Look in your receiver manual or look for a button on the remote labeled "setup" or "level adjust".
The ideal way to adjust these levels is with a $35 Radio Shack Analog SPL meter and a copy of the Avia or Video Essentials DVD. These disks will send a bunch of random-sounding static to each speaker and you adjust the volume up/down so all speakers present the same volume at your listening position.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Here's the link to the SPL meter that Bob mentions in his post. It seems RS has raised the price to $40 but still a very worthwhile investment, IMO.
Good luck!
------------------

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Derek,
What do you mean, “the front surround speakers are too low?” Do you mean the main left and right speakers?
If so, the problem is that you have the center and rear speakers set too loud. Reduce the volume on them so that they will blend properly with the front speakers.
Regards,
Wayne Pflughaupt
------------------
My Equipment List

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks