Speaker setup on Yamaha RXV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by carlos torres, Dec 19, 2001.

1. carlos torres

carlos torres Auditioning

I have a Yamaha RXV 995 and I recently read a post that indicated that it was best to set the center and main speakers on the "small" setting and the subwoofer setting on "both". I have some decent size Klipsch speakers that do a good job of passing a decent LFE signal. I also have a Klipsch subwoofer. Does it make sense to set the Mains to "small" and not "large". Apparently if you set the Main's to "small" and the sub to "both" the LFE signal still gets passed through the mains in addition to the Subwoofer. Any thoughts on this?
    Thanks.[​IMG]

2. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

I have the RX-V800 with all speakers set to small and bass/LFE set to sub. You mentioned having the mains set to "small" with the bass/LFE set to "both"....does this work CORRECTLY even though the mains are set to "small" and not "large"?

3. Edil Cajigas

Edil Cajigas Extra

I have the RX-V3000 according to the manual setting the speakers to small bypass any frequency lower than 90Hz to the subwoofer even if you set BOTH for LFE effects.

I have the Meadowlark Kestrels which are tower speakers and produce good bass. When watching DVDs I set all speakers to small and let the SVS sub to handle low frequencies. When listening to music I set the main in large and LFE on BOTH.

4. Walt H

Walt H Stunt Coordinator

Then setting the mains to "large" and the bass/LFE to "both" should send singals lower than the 90hz internal crossover (of the receiver) to the mains (this could be considered the "bass" signal) but, will send the much lower "LFE" signal to the sub? Would this be about right?

5. Shawn C

Shawn C Screenwriter

I have an RX-V1000 with Klipsch RP-3 mains (built-in subs).

Anyways, my speakers are set to SMALL with LFE going to my subwoofers.

Anything NON-LFE but below 90hz gets sent to the subwoofer when playing CD audio or whatever. All LFE (.1) audio gets sent to the subs as well when playing a 5.1 audio track from a DVD.

Actually, I could set my speakers to LARGE and let the crossovers in my speakers handle the low-frequency crossover instead of the receiver since my subs are built-in anyways.

6. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I've played around with my Yammie 795a for a while and finaly set it this way> Mains large (polk 2000i), center small (cs400i), surround large(800i) and sub (ct150) to both... system is great. I think depending on what speakers you have and your room will require different settings. there realy is no"standard" setting IMO... its a matter of playing with your system to what YOu like best....

7. Jeff_Johnson

Jeff_Johnson Auditioning

I'm with Thomas_A concerning there being no "Standard". Try different receiver settings, that's what they're there for. Try different frequencies and volumes on your sub. Play around with speaker position. Ultimately, your ears will tell you what works. Just remember to CHANGE ONLY ONE THING AT A TIME. Example: You make three changes and get a good result. Which one worked? Or maybe it was a combination of two of the three but which two? Go have some fun.

As for me? I just upgraded from my old RX-V2092 to an RX-V1 with Klipsch KLF-30 mains, KLF-C7 center, etc. so I'm going to go practice what I preach.