Speaker setup on both DVD player and receiver necessary?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas B, Aug 3, 2001.

1. Thomas B

Thomas B Agent

I noticed that my DVD player (Sony DVP-S550D) has setup controls for speaker size, speaker distance, balance, and individual speaker level, etc., but my new receiver (Onkyo 595) also has the same setups. Is there any need to make these detailed setups on BOTH the DVD player AND the receiver? I have the DVD player connected to the receiver with a digital coax cable. It seems logical that the receiver would be the only determinant in the speaker setup since the speakers are connected directly to the receiver and not to the DVD player. Or am I missing something here?

2. David Ebbert

David Ebbert Extra

Hello Thomas,
    With your hookup all you need to configure is the the speaker setup on the receiver.

3. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Yes, I was wondering about the same thing. So if I callibrate the reciever's speaker set up, then should I leave the DVD's set ups at the default, or will it even matter what the setting is on the DVD player?
    Also, when I use the "Virtual 3D Surround" on my Sony 560D, does that make a difference how the sound will come out on the reciever? It's too hard to notice a change with my untrained ears.

4. LawrenceZ

LawrenceZ Stunt Coordinator

That's right Thomas, I have the same player (tomarrow it will be replaced my the Panasonic RP31) and the setup options you mention are used only if you are using the built in DD decoder using the 6 analogue outputs to your reciever. Since you are using the digital connection, you can ignore the speaker size and distance setup in the DVD player and just configure your receiver.

5. Thomas B

Thomas B Agent

Thanks to all for the prompt replies! Nice to know that I actually was thinking in the right direction. The Sony manual just doesn't make this setup option clear, at least as relevant to the receiver.