Speaker Setup help needed!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joel Verinder, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Joel Verinder

Joel Verinder Auditioning

Let me start off by describing my system.

Harman Kardon AVR 320

speakers:
    Front - 2 Klipsch RCW 5s
    Center - Klipsch RC3 II
    Rears - 2 Klipsch RCW 3s
    Sub - Infinity IL20

Outdoor - JBL NAW2II ?

When I hooked up my ourdoor speakers, the volume was softer than the main listening room. I used a 14 gauge wire to connect them with a Monster 4 port switch box. Can someone tell me why the volume is softer outside? It is really annoying when I have to turn the inside speakers up really loud to get the outside speakers to sound good.

Thanks!

Joel

2. Leo

Leo Second Unit

How far outside is the run of wire to the speakers? How are the outside speakers and the inside speakers split? Do you run both sets at the same time? Is there another amp driving the outside speakers or is it sharing power while driving the inside speakers?

3. Joel Verinder

I am running 25 feet of 14 gage monster wire to the outdoor speakers. They are running through a 4 port monster speaker selector. So I can run both at the same time or independently. I am currently using one amp to power the speakers..

Hope this helps..

4. David_Stein

David_Stein Second Unit

klipsch speakers are much more sensative than those jbls, which is probably one reason why the jbls sound softer. plus you probably dont get any room reflections outside to make them sound louder.

5. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

David took the words out of my mouth almost to the letter. So I'll add: Can you use the receiver to re-set the speaker output levels for a better match?

6. Joel Verinder

I don't think I can do that with my current setup. When using a speaker selector, you lose some of your flexibility. This is nice information for the future, live and learn I guess. I'll try installing my 2nd used receiver using the multiroom features..

Thanks