1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

speaker setup for under $1000

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by JayBird, Feb 3, 2005.

1. JayBird

JayBird Agent

hey guys! I've decided to go with the pioneer 1014 as my receiver. Although, i'm not quite sure what speakers go good with it. I heard the jbl E series work well with the 1014? is this true? What speakers would you choose for under $1000 canadian? thanx a lot guys.

2. Guy Strem

Guy Strem Auditioning

Know how to use a circular saw? Know how to read a blueprint?

For $1000, you can build a set of speakers yourself that
    would probably sell for 3 times that if you just went out and bought them. Check out the JBL Heritage site and go to the library section. You can access just about any speaker design they've come up with in the past 60 years. It will only take you about 8hrs (depending on the complexity of the design) to build a couple of cabinets. That's NOT including the time it will take to cover them or veneer them. That's the time consuming part, but there isn't much greater satisfaction than building your own speakers for WAY less than you can buy them for. Use high density 3/4" particle board and glue and screw everything. Study some different designs, listen to as many as you can and decide what you like. It's not rocket science. It's just a box - the key is in the quality of constuction and the components inside.

Personally, I'd recommend looking at JBL PRO cabinets and finding the correct components to go inside.

I own 4 Altec Lansing Voice of the Theatre cabinets that are 7 feet tall and just under 7 feet wide when fully assembled. It's enough P.A. to pound about 2000 people and I use it for my home stereo. Every once in a while I bring them out for parties or special occasions. Each cabinet weighs 430 pounds and it takes about 6 guys to lift one.

JMO.........good luck tho.

Guy

3. craig_curtis

craig_curtis Stunt Coordinator

Craig
    or buy a set of paradigm titans, and a CC170 center. they're made in canada, so they are probably even cheaper there...

4. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

5. JayBird

JayBird Agent

sorry guys, those jbl's out of my price range. I'm in CANADA!!!!!!

6. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Sorry, missed the canadian part.

7. Mike DBS

Mike DBS Extra

I'd run the 1014 with Velodyne Deco sub/sat (US$599 from onecall)

I bought mine last year from a UK dealer & I run them with a Pioneer Receiver (European version of the Elite 53TX)

& the combo sounds great.

8. JayBird

JayBird Agent

I don't have the time to build my own speakers right now. So I will be purchasing them from a retailer. any other ideas? thanx