Speaker setup for my new HT room?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Kline, Dec 5, 2001.

1. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

I am going to be redesigning my HT area, tearing out my garage to use for more important things, like surround sound.
    Here is a basic diagram of how I am planning the room to be set up:
    [​IMG]
    My main question is, with those back speakers against the back wall like that, facing each other.. will that mess up the sound? Like, do the speakers need space on the left and right like all of the diagrams I've seen? My room is going to be long, and I would like to have places to sit on the side instead of directly in front.
    And also, is the sub going to be OK sitting in that corner there or is it better off near the tv?
    And I was also thinking of spending way too much money and getting a plasma tv to hang on the wall.. if I did that, would it be good to have in-wall speakers built into the wall next to the screen, and then a center one above it? I carpenter cousin would most likely be building a nice cabinet/wall unit thingy for everything...
    Well, any thoughts? [​IMG]

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Screw getting the Plasma screen, get a Front Projector like the Sony VHT10 and a nice screen.

Now about the speakers....try it and see if you like it. But from your picture it looks like you can move them in a bit....

3. Tim Kline

Well I didn't really want to go with a projector, this isn't just gonna be a movie room, I will be watching regular tv here, and I'll have my PS2 and Xbox set up for games too .. the game room on the side there will house a pool table and a few classic arcade games I've been wanting [​IMG] Planning for the whole area to just be a cool entertainment area for the whole family.
    I've been looking at some projection tvs around 60", but the most important thing to me is that the tv I get will be an HDTV, if I'm spending all this money on it I want to make sure it will last and not be obsolete in a year or 2

4. Matt Praissman

Matt Praissman Auditioning

I think you should turn the whole thing -90 degrees, so the TV is on the wall across from the entrance. This will make your room into more of the rectangle that surround sound formats like, and you can arrange the seating into rows, and spread the surrounds along the side walls. I'm also concerned that your arrangement will have an acoustic 'hole' on the right side of the theater area, hence the rotation. To block the light, you could then put doors or a curtain over the entrance.

Matt

5. David Meek

David Meek Extra

Tim, I agree with Matt. Rotate it if SAF allows it. You'll have a much more balanced soundfield and (IMHO) a symmetric room allows for easier accoustic corrections.

6. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

If you can't rotate it... are the couches to scale? I would say you could move the seating a little away from the back wall. That way the rears will be in the rear where they belong.

7. Tim Kline

no the drawing isn't to scale, it's just like a sketch really
    this room is going to be about 11'x18' .. the sofa is almost 7' long, I thought of having the set up be against the left wall there, and the sofa right in front of the tv but that wouldn't leave much room on the sides, the love seat there is kinda big too, and I didn't want to have 1 behind the other.. I could have the loveseat in front of the tv and the sofa along the wall but I dunno if I'd like that. Plus, I need room for that chair on the side too.. what my ultimate goal is, is to have seating for 4 comfortably without being all crowded (for games [​IMG]), and if I have more folks over it won't be too crowded. So, I figured this would be the best overall layout.
    We haven't begun construction yet, so I haven't decided on the doorway yet. There is a cinderblock wall there now so I don't know how much support needs to be there for the house. In the long run I may end up just having a regular door cut into it, then I can close it to make the room super dark during the day