Speaker Setup - Crossover and distances

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrenH, Mar 1, 2003.

1. DarrenH

DarrenH Agent

Feb 28, 2003

Recently purchased a Sony STR-DA2ES. This gives me many more options for speaker setup than my old receiver. I have two basic questions:

1. Speaker distance - If you are tuning your system with a sound meter, does it even matter if you set up the distances? A friend told me the best thing to do is max out each distance and then set the levels using the sound meter.

2. Crossover Points - The 2ES allows you to set crossover points for each of your speakers. My setup is as follows:

Front L&R - Frequency Response 20hz - 20000 hz
    Center - Frequency Response 85hz - 20000 hz
    Rear L&R - Frequency Response 60hz - 20000hz

Sub - Frequency Response 30hz - 200hz
    Variable Crossover 50hz - 150hz

I understand from reading other threads it is best to set all speakers as small, establish your crossover points, then tune with sound meter.

I am wondering exactly where the crossover points should be for my speakers. Should you set one crossover universally for all speakers (i.e. front, rear and center all at 100hz) or is it better to do each speaker set individually (i.e. fronts might have lower crossover than rears and center)? Also, trying to figure out at what frequency the sub should come in.

All this is probably subjective based on individual setup, I am looking for some pointers and best practices to start from.

Any and all help is appreciated...

2. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

Aug 13, 2002
    Yes, the distance settings do matter, because they control delays, not volume. I find the distance/delay setting for my center speaker is critical -- it makes a big difference to the sound.

There is a rule of thumb for determining the minimum crossover setting, and that is one octave above the lowest extension of your speakers. Thus multiply by two the lowest frequency in the range specified for each of your speakers. I don't know how good the rule is, though. It probably depends on the slopes of the speakers' crossovers.

When you set different crossover frequencies, however, there are some issues involving evenness of frequency response and cancellation that I don't understand. So it might be best to select just one frequency, even though your receiver allows you the flexibility of using differing ones.

Possibly a frequency sweep calibration tone and a sound pressure meter could help determine what settings give the most even frequency response.