Speaker Setup Changes What You Think?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JoeyR, Mar 6, 2005.

1. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    Ok I have E30 fronts, E30 side surrounds and was going to buy a set of E10s for rear surrounds, which will cost about 100 dollars. Im thinking of maybe saving some extra cash and getting a set of E50s and using them for fronts and move the exsisting E30s and use them for rear surrounds.

What are your opinions on this?

2. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

What center channel do you have? The 25 or 35. If you have the 35 it would definitly be an improvement because the 35 and 50 are both 3ways, with identical crossovers. If you have the 25 centre channel then I would save my money and just buy the 10s for surrounds and then maybe spend that extra money on a really nice sub. (SVS :wink[​IMG]) or if you do have the 25 centre channel but plan to upgrade eventually you could get the 50s now and then you would have a killer system when you upgrade.

hope I could help

3. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

He already has an SVS :) and I believe he has the E35 center.

Putting the 50's up front is Def. not a bad idea. Remeember tho, they are side sitting, not upright like the E30's.

I would possibly reco saving a few more and go with E80's or 90's for fronts like me :)

That would be one mean system :)

4. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey
    Cheapest I can find the E80s is 180 a speaker, I have found the E60s for 98 a speaker, hard choice

5. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

E80's are worth the $$ over the 60's for sure.
    Jump from 80s to 90s not as great, but BIG from 60's to 80s.

6. questrider

questrider Second Unit
    Supporter

Brian
    First of all, stay away from the E10s. They sound so tinny and flat. Save some more money and go with the E80s for sure since you really need a good 3-way speaker for your mains. Same setup I have: (2) E80s, (1) EC35, (4) E30s. Sounds excellent and matched taboot! I too looked at the E30s as an all-satellite system for both the mains and the surrounds but wanted 3-ways for the mains so I looked at the E60s/E80s/E90s for towers as well. I agree with Mikey that the E60s to E80s is a considerable difference, whereas the E80s to E90s is barely noticeable, especially when set to small and using a good subwoofer. I actually couldn't tell the difference at all in the sound from the two 6" (E80) to two 8" (E90) woofers with a crossover set to 80Hz except for the hit my wallet was going to take. Plus the E90s are HUGE! I can't even imagine how big the E100s with two 10" woofers must be: now those I would buy if I had both the cash and the room for them to be needed. I'm sure they sound considerably different than the E80s, especially since you could set them to large without a crossover. The E50s are a good choice for mains since they are 3-ways especially if your space is limited and your room will better support satellites over tower mains. But stay away from the E10s. I'd go with another set of E30s (for $150) before I'd get the E10s or the E20s (I auditioned those at home too) for that matter.