Speaker Settings

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kelvin F, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Kelvin F

Kelvin F Auditioning

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I have a couple of questions regarding speaker settings on my receiver. Question #1: Speaker Distance- If i punch in 12 ft. and my speakers are really 8 ft. away from my listening position will they sound louder than if i punch in the correct distance?

Question #2: Frequency Adjustments- My receiver allows adjustments for BASS: 100 Hz - 1.0 kHz MIDS: 500 Hz -5 kHz TREBLE: 1.0 Hz - 10 kHz for all speakers. How do i find out the correct settings?

My mains are set to large and my center and surrounds are set to small.

I almost forgot to mention, my mains are KLH 5001 90db eff. my center channel is a Klipsch sc-1 and my surrounds are klipsch ss-.5

I plan on getting klipsch sf-2 mains when i can afford them. I hope that maybe you guys could steer me in the right direction. Any input would be greatly appreciated,THANKS!!

2. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Stunt Coordinator

On most receivers that allow you to enter speaker distance,

it is so that the receiver can calculate the correct delay times to your seating position.As for bass adjustment,if you truely have full range speakers,set the receivers bass crossover as low as it allows,if not the 80hz -100hz range is acceptable and will blend better with the small setting

you have set the center and surrounds to.Sometimes even if you think your speakers are capable of full range,they may

sound better if the low end is handled by the sub.The bottom

line is do whatever sounds best to you.

3. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

The speaker distance information is used (as noted above) to set the delays in the system. It does not alter the loudness of a particular channel. The reason for the delay (distance) settings is to allow all the speakers to generate sound which arrives simultaneously at the listening position despite their actual physical distance being unequal. This is beneficial not only for imaging but also frequency response. Ideally, all the speaker are at least properly set in the receiver for their distance. For even more accurate phase and distance setting (within half-inch accuracy), do a search for AVIA, Phase, and SPL. There is a technique for doing hyperaccurate phasing adjustments using an analog SPL meter and the phasing tests in AVIA which was discussed here about two weeks ago. http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...avia+phase+spl

4. john waring

john waring Agent

I contacted the rep for my speakers and was told to set main left and right speakers to small as well as the center and the surrounds. The sub will take care of the BASS.