speaker settings for receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe*J, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Joe*J

Joe*J Auditioning

I hope this is the right place to ask these questions.
    I have a Yamaha RX V3000 receiver. Definitive Technology BP 2004 TL main speakers. These speakers have built in powered subwoofers. Def Tech C/L/R 2002 center speaker. The 2004 speakers are hooked up using speaker level and line level (LFE using Y adapter going into each main)
    Ok now for the confusion: How should the speaker setting be set?
    Mains- LARGE or SMALL
    Subwoofer- SUB or MAIN or BOTH

I don't really understand what the BOTH setting does but its there. I have asked these questions in other forums but I never got a clear answer. Maybe someone out there has these same speakers with a Yamaha receiver and they could give there settings.
    Also the Def Techs are rated at 4-8 ohms, the manual says to use the 4 ohm setting. The confusion here is that some people tell me to use 4 others say to use 8. Does anyone know for sure which is better.

2. Joe*J

Joe*J Auditioning

Still looking for answers, maybe someone has a similar set up.

3. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    If It were my system I'd set the sub at main and the mains at large (assuming your speakers pretty good at producing bass, I haven't heard them). I've never heard of that main/both setting but I would assume that the both setting is for people who don't use a sub and want to redirect their .1 bass to the mains.

4. SvenS

SvenS Second Unit

The "sub - both" setting tells the receiver to send the LFE audio to both the sub AND the front speakers (if they're set ot large). I think you will need to experiment with setting your front speakers to large then try it with them set to small and make your own decision. I myself use 15" three-way JBL's that handle deep bass very well so I have them set to large but it will be up to you to decide if your speakers can handle the lowest bass well.

5. dave alan

dave alan Second Unit

yammy is rated at 100 watts/channel

set to 8 ohms
    speakers set to small
    lfe set to sub

get a bigger power amp....different story

6. Cliff

Cliff Stunt Coordinator

7. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Cliff,

This makes my head ache, trying to rethink bass management back to the fundamentals coupled w/ Yamaha BOTH.

Gonna ponder it, especially in light of this very post this very day by "Secrets" editor Brian Florian at avsforum:

8. Cliff

Cliff Stunt Coordinator

Bill,

Yes, Brian is absolutely correct. The bottom line for me is that most "bass management" schemes are compromises in one way or another, even the highly touted "use a sub and set all speakers to small". (I say this because, with the typical crossover frequencies of 80-90 Hz, the listener is deprived of directional cues in the 60 Hz region of the audio spectrum that would otherwise be provided by 5 full-range speakers of a 5.1 system, assuming that the listener can perceive directionality at 60 Hz, which I believe I can.)

So compromise is the order of the day, except for those with truly full-range speakers in all 5 positions. If you accept this, then the only other issue is what compromise do you (or anyone) prefer? Doubling up bass from the mains by directing a copy of it to the subwoofer? Calibrating your sub to run "hot" by a few dB? I would not fault any of these solutions, or a combination of them, as long as the system is calibrated and equalized (for sub) using the intended playback arrangement.

Cliff