speaker settings for onkyo898

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven Hallett, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Steven Hallett

what is the best setting for my rt1000i polk fronts and cs400i center.do i set the left &right to large andcenter to small or set all to large.on the lfe out i will be running the polk psw650 (2-10inch powered )subs and one 12 omage powered sub both together in the corner,once my polk has arrived.and then sould i calibrate the subs to75db like the other 7 speakers or i have read on this form to set 10db higher so to 85 db. which is the correct way.thx for the replys[​IMG]

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Steven,
    Has your Avia disk arrived? You'll need it.
    In the meantime, and I'm saying this pleasantly, try and read up more starting with the 898 manual (again) and using the search function here at HTF for general setting up info that people go thru all the time. (I have more time than I need, so I understand if family and work dont let you read everyone else's posts night after night).
    It's neat you can come to this forum for each step of your setup, but that can take you a longer time, wire by wire.
    Here is a tip post I've saved featuring Guy Kuo whose company invented the AVIA and newer Sound&Vision test disks. Always look for his advice. These Guy Kuo Tips feature Video but scroll down to the Audio. It's the easiest read I've seen explaining 5.1 calibration.
    And yes, he also advises SMALL settings for all 5 spkrs for when your nicer SUB is hooked to the amp's SUB/LFE line-level out.
    SUB calibration level? Many people boost it above the mains "reference" but start out at +5 rather than +10. Also, once the sub level is calibrated, you cn always raise it or lower it from the remote in your chair.
    [​IMG] bill
    p.s. I checked out Smoking PUFF! fix the signature code by making the end read [/img] (that is move the slash in front)

3. Steven Hallett

thx Bill i enjoy you feedback, will check out the link on the tips for 5.1 post if i make any changes,I am going to try and fix the link to my piturenow thx again

4. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

nice sig Steve! Smokinnnnnn'