Speaker settings and DVD-A

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by anthony_b, Aug 17, 2002.

1. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

As I just joined the DVD-A club with the purchase of a very fine Panasonic(dvdra60) unit I have a question or two about speakers and bass mgmt.

a) I have towers as mains and a velodyne sub plus a pair of bookshelf surround speakers...My question is, with the lack of bass mgmt will the unit send full range signals to all 5 speakers ? I have everything setup as "small" with sub set to "yes" on my receiver. I'm assuming that my DVD-A player is going to overlook that and do "whatever" it's programed to do. Am I right ?

b)Because of the lack of bass mgmt... for DVD-A playback is it better to have mains that have great bass output on there own ? then to have a decent tower with a sub ? (I'm afraid that certain titles will sound thin on my towers ?).

In other words what is the text book specs for speakers for DVD-A playback....is it 5 full range speakers ?

Does the speaker setting/size on the unit for DVD/DTS crossover to DVD-A Playback ?

2. Larry Becker

Larry Becker Agent

Hi, Anthony,
    I'll take a shot at this... others will chime in, I'm sure.
    I think you hit on the main points involved here: bass management and frequency response of the speakers. Most receivers don't do any kind of bass management for the analog inputs, with the exceptions being the new Denon 5803 and the Pioneer Elite 49tx (which I own). That doesn't mean you're left out in the cold if you don't own one of these monsters. Outlaw Audio sells a relatively inexpensive solution which handles MOST of the bass management chores (it doesn't do time/distance settings). I believe M & K sells a similar box for their speakers. These bass mgmt. boxes will allow you to route bass to your sub and allow the other speakers to operate as they were designed to.
    Ideally, DVD-audio requires 5 full-range speakers. Not all of us have that, so that's where bass management comes into play. Not to mention the problem with THX dictating an 80 hz crossover, dipole speakers on the sides, etc...
    In my own setup, I have Energy Veritas 2.3's in front (full range), the Veritas 2.0c in the center, 2.0R dipoles on the sides, and older "full-range" Infinitys in the back (for THX Ultra2 processing). My Pioneer will digitize the analog signal and use all of its normal speaker settings on DVD-audio and it sounds wonderful. I can also turn off the processing and just run them in "direct mode" (which I sometimes do on high-end recordings), and it sounds great, too -- just mo' better in its adjusted mode.
    I'd say, unless you're willing to get timbre-matched, full-range speakers all around, you might be better off trying a bass management box. I read of someone on one of these boards that had B&W 804's all around. That must have been amazing...
    Other input?
    Larry[​IMG]

3. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

Larry, I think that was a very detailed explanation and it confirmed what I was afraid of all along. (Five full range speakers for optimum performance) or purchase that ICBM box.
    Thanks.