Speaker Setting - SML or Large/Two Sub Setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adrian Ramirez, Aug 12, 2001.

1. Adrian Ramirez

Adrian Ramirez Auditioning

I have the Yamaha RXV-795a with Klipsch Mains, Center, & Dipole Surrounds. To best optimize my HT setup, how should I configure the speaker set up on the receiver to Small or Large?
    Also, I have a JBL 12" sub and would like to purchase an additional one. How do I set up this configuration? Where should I place dual subs for optimal bass? Finally, do I use a Y-adapter to split the LFE signal from the sub output from the receiver to two separate 12" subs or is there a more effective and efficient method?
    Please help!!
    ------------------

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Most people are better off with all speakers set to small. Let the sub handle all the low stuff- thats what its there for. Your Klipsch and the Yamaha will be unburdoned of low frequency which saps their energy.
    For placement of 2 subs, believe it or not, optimal is side by side (or one atop the other) in a corner. Be sure the phase settings on the subs (there may or may not be a phase switch or knob) are matched. Just split the sub out with a RCA Y adaptor.