What's new

Speaker set-up (1 Viewer)

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
Well I have been tweaking my small set up and I realized that my Yamaha receiver has a setting that allows for bass signals to be sent to subwoofer, main or both. I have my mains set on small and the bass setting set to subwoofer out. But the manual says I can also set the mains to large and then set the bass setting to both, so the signal runs to the mains and the sub. Whats the benefit of that, am I getting more out of the mains that would be missing before?
I running Axiom M22's and Hsu STF-1
thanks

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
Your Axioms aren't large enough. Unless you've got speakers that can cover the entire spectrum (20Hz-20KHz) then they really aren't "large". Keep them set to small :)

However, if you want to try it nothing's really stopping you. If the results are somehow good for you then that's great. If you get poor results then keep them small.

ChrisCollins

Stunt Coordinator
Well ya I know they wont cover the whole spectrum but my receiver crosses over at 90, so if I set them to large I am getting bass down to about 60 and then the bass is still being used from the sub
didnt know if I would hear any more midbass?? or something

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
running your speakers as SMALL has multiple benefits, 2 of which are:

1. it requires less work, physically, from the speaker. by reducing the movement required, the speaker is able to more accurately reproduce those frequencies which it IS being sent, leaving the big moving chores to the subwoofer.

2. it requires less work from the amplifier(s). the amplifier only has to amplify those frequencies above the receiver's crossover and the sub's amp does the rest. the net result is cleaner output.

those m22tis should definitely be run as SMALL, anyway.

Daman

Second Unit
well i too have a yamaha reciever with polk setup and i also fiddled with the both setting because i wanted to install the bass shakers and was not using sub out- i had the main speaker wires running to the sub and then out from sub into speakers.. this setting was when i had set the bass to mains, now for bass shakers i set the output to both but when i did that the bass output from the system was reduced drastically.. i wasnt happy with that at all, would suggest you try different settings and see how much bass you are getting in your system in case you are thinking of setting it to both.

Marc H

Second Unit
If your M22 are the version that weighed 49lbs per pair or the later ones at 42lbs a pair, then I would suggest large. If they are any of the versions under 40lbs and down to the current 32lbs per pair, then I would recommend the small mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks