What's new

Speaker set up question (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Jay
Hello all,

I was looking to hang my speakers (Klipsch HD500's) from the drop ceiling grid in my basement. Is this a wise move? Has anyone else done it? It seems like the best spot for placement and being able to hide the speaker cables. Thanks for your guidence.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
With drop ceilings, you don't really suspend anything from the grid itself, rather you hang/mount things from the joists above and cut holes in the tiles. If you want to avoid cutting holes in the middle of tiles, you can position the objects so they hang next to a grid cross-member so you only need to notch out the edge of a tile.

Even when installing recessed lighting where the can rests on the grid cross-members, you actually attach wires from the can to the joists so that the weight of the can isn't resting on the grid itself.

So long as you can have the speaker supported by something OTHER than just the grid, you should be OK.

Real Name
Jay
Hey guys,
Thanks alot for the information, I'll look into trying to installing them from the joists and augment the ceiling tile slightly

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jay,

Placing speakers intended for HT use in or next to the ceiling is pretty much the worst location possible. You won't have a home theater, instead, what you'll have is a set of speakers that happen to be in the same room with a TV i.e. the sound will not match up with the image - NOT good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks