Speaker set up for Billiard Room

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by JeffJob, Mar 17, 2005.

1. JeffJob

JeffJob Auditioning

Hello all;

We are adding to our house and one new room will be a billiard room. The room will be 23 x 15. I will have a TV in one corner, mostly for casual viewing while playing pool. I will have a decent receiver, (100 watts x 5.1) and a decent sub for the room.

I am thinking of putting 4 of HTD's best in walls to keep the room looking neat. My wife and I listen to lots of Blues, although not exceptionally loud.

Will 4 in wall's be enough for this room?

Thanks...

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hi Jeff,

First, welcome to the Forum!

Yes, four will be fine. Any corner TV set up is problematic for a normal home theater installation, (since it’s difficult to orient the other speakers around the room evenly at the required 45-degreed angles), but since this is a casual viewing situation, you might want to just eliminate the center channel speaker. I would think the idea here would be to have even sound distribution around the room – i.e., so it’s not louder at one end and quieter at the other. Four speakers would do that nicely.

I think I’d look into a receiver with a “five-channel stereo” surround sound mode, that distribute the signal evenly to all channels. The reason: If you’re watching a TV show or DVD in Pro Logic or Dolby Digital, as you normally would, anyone standing near one of the speakers designated for rear channels will hear only the effects, and they’ll be abnormally loud since they’re so close to them. Meanwhile, the dialog is coming from some speaker on the other side of the room, and it will be hard to hear. As you can see, Pro Logic and Dolby Digital really work best when you have a standard set up as you would in a regular home theater room.

However, if the TV show or DVD (fed by the analog L/R connections) is processed in a five-channel stereo mode, then each speaker should get a mix of the dialog and sound effects. That way everyone hears the same thing no matter where in the room they are.

Hope this makes sense...

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. JeffJob

JeffJob Auditioning

Yes that does make sense. And I am already thinking of not having a center channel speaker. I will definatly be running the system as a music system, not a surround system.

I think the receiver I am going to use has selectable modes that would distribute the sound evenly as you suggested.

I'll have to check on that however.

Thanks for the reply.