Speaker set for Onkyo 701

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brian.M, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Brian.M

Brian.M Extra

Hi to everyone, I have been hovering around this forum for about a month and just had to make a post because I couldn't find the right answers from other posts.
    I am planning on buying an Onkyo 701 THX receiver and have a budget of $700-800 for a 6.1 speaker and sub system. I need to fil a 12' by 25' room. My old starter system is an Onkyo 838 (remember the days of AC-3?) and a Bose Acoustimass 10 with passive sub (pre-hometheaterforum days).
    I have read aout the HSU ventriloquist and onkyo HTIB but have not actually heard them. Are these better than my old bose or do you have any other suggestions?

2. Brian.M

Brian.M Extra

Hi to everyone, I have been hovering around this forum for about a month and just had to make a post because I couldn't find the right answers from other posts.
    I am planning on buying an Onkyo 701 THX receiver and have a budget of $700-800 for a 6.1 speaker and sub system. I need to fil a 12' by 25' room. My old starter system is an Onkyo 838 (remember the days of AC-3?) and a Bose Acoustimass 10 with passive sub (pre-hometheaterforum days).
    I have read aout the HSU ventriloquist and onkyo HTIB but have not actually heard them. Are these better than my old bose or do you have any other suggestions?

3. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

I have heard that the ventriloquist system is very nice. I would think it would blow away your Bose system. IF it were me I would get the STF-2 over the STF-1. Either one would blow the doors off of the Bose "Bass Module". Cnet.com had a good review on the system. You can link to it from HSU.com.in the review section. I think that your receiver would be compatible with a great many speaker lines so best of luck to you. Also you may want to consider the ELT system from Rocket it is said to be a great value.

Greghttp://www.av123.com

4. greg baker

greg baker Stunt Coordinator

I have heard that the ventriloquist system is very nice. I would think it would blow away your Bose system. IF it were me I would get the STF-2 over the STF-1. Either one would blow the doors off of the Bose "Bass Module". Cnet.com had a good review on the system. You can link to it from HSU.com.in the review section. I think that your receiver would be compatible with a great many speaker lines so best of luck to you. Also you may want to consider the ELT system from Rocket it is said to be a great value.

Greghttp://www.av123.com

5. Brian.M

Brian.M Extra

Thank you greg, I do appreciate the help! As for the bose speakers I bought it back in the late 1990's when home theater forums online were still new. That was the same time a bought a Pioneer DVD/LD player which was 'state of the art' back then and ProLogic still was holding it's own. Talk about nostalgia. Heck I still have a functioning Betamax player!

6. Brian.M

Brian.M Extra

Thank you greg, I do appreciate the help! As for the bose speakers I bought it back in the late 1990's when home theater forums online were still new. That was the same time a bought a Pioneer DVD/LD player which was 'state of the art' back then and ProLogic still was holding it's own. Talk about nostalgia. Heck I still have a functioning Betamax player!