What's new

Speaker Sensitivity vs Wattage vs SPL? (1 Viewer)

Martin Fontaine

Supporting Actor
I know that a speaker's sensitivity rating means the SPL that is readable at 1 Meter when there is 1 Watt of power. And that whenever the volume level (dBs on the receiver's volume dial) changes by 10 dBs, the wattage is multiplied/divided by 10.

My Paradigm Titans are rated for 90 dB @ 1w/1m. And my Kenwood VR-509 can do 100 Watts per channel (Ok, so maybe with all channels driven, it can't get that high but that's besides the point here)

So in theory, if I set the volume level on the receiver at -20dB, I should be outputting 1 watts (Assuming the signal is a peak)

Calibrating with S&V (Which is basically Avia jr. so the 85db=Ref should be valid right?) Ref level is -18 for AC3 and -22 for DTS (I usually listen to my movies at 10 under ref so -28 or -32)

If at reference (-18) I'm just over 1 watts (Probably just a little under 2 watts) then my speakers should spit 92dBs since doubling the wattage adds 3 dBs of SPL. Then why would I get 105 dB at that volume level then?

The formula just doesn't seem right here. I'm sitting maybe a little over 1m from the speakers but still, this doesn't make sense.

And when I put MP3s from the PC (SPDIF output) anything above -40 is too loud (Probably near ref) so there again, the formula makes no sense.

Anyone know why?

Mark Tranchant

Stunt Coordinator
Read my post in this thread.
You're assuming that a 0dB volume setting on the receiver equates to 100W output. This is not necessarily the case: you need to factor in both the input signal level and the volume setting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks