Speaker Selector and Volume Controls

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Joe_Papeo, May 31, 2006.

1. Joe_Papeo

Joe_Papeo Stunt Coordinator

I need to purchase a speaker selector ASAP.

Here is what I want to do....

Outdoor System
    2 pairs of Mirage Outdoor speakers
    -1 pair facing the pool
    -1 pair facing the patio

1 pair of Polk speakers inside the garage

1 Denon 2 channel amp inside the garage.

I would like each pair of Mirage on a volume control
    -can I use one volume control for 2 pairs?

I do not want to put the Polks on a seperate VC. I would just use the main control inside the garage.

WHat do I need?

More specifically....

Do I need a speaker selector that has a volume control on it?
    I am assuming I need a speaker selector with impedance matching.

The volume control is impedance matching, or at least the Nile ones are. Do I need impedence matching on the VC if only one pair is wired to it?

If I dont have VC on the speaker selector does every pair of speakers have to have a seperate VC?

Can I use a SS with no VC and use VCs for the 2 pairs outdoors but not the one pair indoors?

Does any of this make sense?

2. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

So, is the Denon amp is actually a two channel receiver? I'm going through a similiar situation and have not resolved all the details yet but i'll share what I know.
    You have got three pairs of speakers to connect to a left and right speaker terminals so you will need a selector with impedence matching or VC's with I.M. and a hub.
    If you go with the Niles VC with I.M. there is a 1x, 2x, 4x, and 8x setting, not sure if the volume control on the receiver would act as the third but you have an odd number of speakers as there is no 3x setting.
    Realize that whatever power the Denon has will be divided into whatever # of speakers it is driving, in this case, say the Denon has 100w, it will be 100/3=about 33w to each pair.

This may not answer any of your questions but these are the types of things I have had to deal with in trying to set up my whole house audio system, I have four pairs of speakers and three VC's and want to use a 7.1 surround receiver in the "7 ch. surround" mode amd use the receiver volume control. I'm not finished yet but I am having trouble of an unknown nature with low volume and static through the speakers. I do know that if you only had two pairs of sp. it would be easier to resolve. Keep me informed and i'll try to share my results.

Edit: Just thought of something: If you will not be needing all three pairs at the same time, you could connect the garage sp. to the A speaker terminal and the other two pair to the B terminal if that Denon is so equipped.

3. Joe_Papeo

It is a 2 channel receiver.

I was thinking of doing that as well....

Speaker selector to the outdoor/2 pairs of speakers and the B to the inside speakers.

I guess I will just never be able to run them at them same time.

I am actually probably going to buy

Phoenix Gold IMS4 speaker selector with impedence matching
    and
    Phoenix Gold Volume Controls with imp matching

Any reason not to have both products with impedence matching?

4. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

It would be overkill but you can, just leave IM off on either the SS or the VC. I have heard, but cannot confrim, that using both will negatively affect sound quailty even if you do turn off IM in one or another.

5. Joe_Papeo

thats what i am doing.

i bought a speakers selector and VC that have IM. i called Phoenix Gold and their CS told me to 86 the IM on the SS.

he also said stop abbreviating so much.

6. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    I know what you mean, I get tired of typing the whole words impedence-matching volume control,speaker selector, but wonder if I am making sense sometimes.
    Let me know how the install goes. I will be trying to figure out my problem tomorrow.