Speaker selection - Rockets?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Joe Blech, Feb 7, 2004.

1. Joe Blech

Joe Blech Stunt Coordinator

Been reading for a while - 1st post here!
    I currently have a Denon AVR-3802 and am planning on placing an order for the SVS PB2+, but I am trying to decide what speaker setup I should use. I have always planned to go with the Klipsch reference setup (RC-7, RF-7, etc.), but recently heard about and started checking out Rocket speakers. I like the setup that sells for $2149. I love the look of these speakers! (Maybe even more than the Klipsch) But sound quality is of course of the utmost importance. Which set do you think is better? HOw do these Rocket speakers actually sound? I know that I should buy based on what sounds good to me, but it is hard to demo the rockets without actually ordering. I guess maybe a descriptive comparison of the speakers might help - (Rockets are warmer, more mellow than the Klipsch, etc.) Thanks guys!

2. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

Have you tried Audioenvy.com? They list Rocket owners that are willing to let you come to their house and demo them, there might be an owner near you. And based on other opinions I've seen, I think you hit the nail on the head. The Rockets are warmer and more mellow on the high end. With the horns of the Klipsch, you are really looking at two drastically sounding speakers. Personally, I don't like the "in your face" sound I think the Klipsch give off. But if you really like the Klipsch, then maybe it's best just to get them since you've heard them and knowing the Rockets will be very different sounding. Good luck!

3. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

When your spending that kind of money you owe it to yourself to try both in your listening room. I too was inclined to go with the Klipsh. Boy I am glad I waited and was able to listen to some Rockets. By the way I have a PB2+ as well. The Rockets are beautiful, built like a brick shit house and sound wonderful.. Their center speaker is by far one of the best I have heard. I know lots of Klipsh folks will disagree but thats my take on how things were heard by me. I don't know about you but I plan on keeping this set up for quite awhile. I am tired of upgrading and hopefully this will do it. I would have gladly paid shipping back if I did not like them just so I can know and say I got the best of what appealed to me!

4. BrianAe

BrianAe Second Unit

TO my ears, Klipsh and Rockets sound very different. Of all the major B&M brands, I think the Rockets sound the most similar to Paradigm.

5. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

Which Rockets and which Paradigms? I have heard the Rocket RS150 and RS750, as well as the Paradigm Titan, Studio 20v2, Studio 40v2, and Studio 60v3. These Rockets and Paradigms did not sound anything alike to me.

6. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

Rockets tweeter is simular to this http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=264-555

Klipsh uses more of a horn type so its going to sound Brighter.

You should listen to a soft dome type loudspeaker and a aluminium dome type loudspeaker and possible Magplaners as well of the same LvL
    [​IMG]

They all have a different sound

7. steve lucchetti

Rockets....they can't be beat for the $. You will not be disappointed.

8. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Steve, that's a pretty bold statement. I do own some rocket myself, and while I do love them, they are not for everyone's taste. Same thing for me and the Klipsch....while they are good speakers, they aren't my cup of tea. Going from Klipsch to Rockets may be a shock for some people [​IMG]

Joe, you might want to go the audioenvy route, like WayneO suggested above. You might get a quicker response if you post an audition request on the AV123 forum. There might be someone in your neck of the woods that might give you an audition, in exchange for a six-pack ;-)

Mike, I've never seen or been in a shit brick house before [​IMG]

9. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

If you're a fan of the Klipsch sound Rockets are voiced very differently. If you have to know and there isn't anyone in your area that will let you listen just order a pair to try. That minimizes shipping costs if the Rocket's sound isn't to your liking.

10. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

I would have to ask which Rockets and Paradigms too.

I listened to (compared) the RS-750 Sigs and RSC-200 to the Studio 100v3 and the Studio CC-570v3. They didn’t sound anything alike.

I would also say that if your tastes point you to Klipsch you might not like the Rockets at all. Very different in sound. But the only way to know is listen to them for yourself.

11. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Nhan_H.. your from Texas and don't know what a brick shit house is? I must be gettin old.. They were made way back in the old ages for folks that tend to get alot of wind and dust and stuff... an outhouse but in brick.

12. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Well, after several months and numerous auditions, I went with a complete Magneplanar surround system:
    MG1.6/QR (mains)
    MGCC3 (center)
    MGMC1 (surrounds)
    Paradigm PW-2200 (sub)

I auditioned the following main speakers:
    Wharfedale EVO-40 $960/pair
    Boston Acoustics VR3 $1250/pair
    B&W DM-603 $949/pair
    Magnepan MG1.6QR $1725/pair ($1495/pair for a demo)
    Onix Rockets RS750 $1499/pair
    Paradigm Studio 100 $2100/pair

Didn't get to audition:
    Swan Diva 6.1 BC $929/pair
    Paradigm Studio 60 $1499/pair

Out of all the speakers listed above, the maggies were hands down my favorites!! The Wharfedale EVO-40 would have been my choice for a box speaker...nice sound stage and a little laid back.

I went to audioenvy.com and found someone close by with the Rocket set-up. He was nice enough to let me go to his place and here them. They sound very good, but were not what I was looking for. After having Paradigm Monitor series speakers, I wanted something with more detail and soundstage.....Maggies won that contest!!

Good luck in your search.

13. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

Thought you might go that way.
    They have a very unique sound almost transparent.[​IMG]

14. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Sorry, Mike....never heard of those. I'm more familiar with the portable pottie types [​IMG]

15. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Nhan... you haven't missed a thing so don't worry about it. I only had to use one several times at my rural relatives house when I was a kid. Very ucky! But at least your educated now and you know what a brick shit house is...

16. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

He knows what a brick shit house is, he didn't know what a "shit brick house" was. [​IMG]

17. Joe Blech

Joe Blech Stunt Coordinator

Thank you to all of you who lent your opinions and advice on this topic! I plan to audition the Paradigm Studio 100's and try to find someone around here with the Rockets. Is my 3802 gonna have enough power to drive this caliber speaker sufficiently?

18. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

Joe.. you won't have any problems with that receiver!