What's new

Speaker search ho-hum (1 Viewer)

BruceTM

Agent
I think I'm growing tired of searching for the perfect sounding speakers. I've begun to think that those elusive characters don't exist. Maybe, I'll just go to BB and settle for the floor standing speakers that sound best to me.

I'm considering the Yamaha ns-555's. Ho-hum.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
I don't think the perfect speaker exists...but if it did...it would cost you your first born! Those NS-555's are nice...sound great with HT material!

BruceTM

Agent
Let me see, now. I've listened to the stable of B&W's, Paradigm, PSB, and Athenas at BB. Each of these I've found wanting in some way. The B&W's sound artificially bloated to me, the Paradigm's sound muddy or bright depending on model, and the PSB image series is also bright or harsh sounding. My son has PSB image 5ts. They sound nice on instrumental music, but really harsh with rock music. I listened to the Athenas at BB, along with the Yamaha's. I actually preferred the overall sound of the Yamaha's. I thought, though, that they weren't as clear as I would like them to be. Maybe, it was the listening environment. I don't know. I listened to Technics loudspeakers for 20 years and thought they sounded good until my son notified me they were crap. It's all his fault, and now I have this itch to upgrade, but am afraid I won't like the result. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. My speakers are old and worn out like I am.

The characteristics I'm searching for are some floorstandings that sound real good playing music, with clarity, but without the harsh highs I hear in many of the new speakers. Bass is not an issue, since I already have a subwoofer. I also like the idea of a dedicated midrange.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
Bruce....very interesting.

If you are willing to go the internet route, I would suggest the Ascend Acoustics CMT-340 l/r with their custom stands. Not really a floorstander, but looks like a mini-tower with the custom stands. But from the sounds of your descriptions, I think it would be something to try. Even if I own them my self.

Although I am not a fan of the Rocket sound, they may be what you are looking for. Check out AV123.com.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
The characteristics I'm searching for are some floorstandings that sound real good playing music, with clarity, but without the harsh highs I hear in many of the new speakers. Bass is not an issue, since I already have a subwoofer. I also like the idea of a dedicated midrange.
You might like to listen to the Onix Rocket 550s and 750s. The 750s are usually described as somewhat laid back. The 750s in particular represent Mark Schifter’s desire to produce a speaker that can be listened to for long periods with volume. Non-fatiguing is one way I’ve heard him describe this design philosophy.

The 550s are a bit more forward, though not overly so and certainly they would not be described as bright.

Both speakers have absolutely outstanding cabinetwork. Everything in rosewood, although I understand that ebony is an option.

The Onix Reference speakers are quite detailed and are, for me very fine speakers for 2-channel sound. Again, I’d not describe them as bright. Based on your brief description, you sound like a match for the 750s.

You can try audioenvy.com to see if someone in your area will demo them. Or you could try posting on AV123.

I would also urge you to listen to the Ascend line mentioned by Curtis.

Editied to include a comment that neither the 750s, nor the 550s nor the Onix References have a dedicated midrange driver. The Rocket 200 (the companion center channel for the Rocket 750/550 is a 3-way design, crossed over at 500 Hz and 4 kHz. This is a seriously fine center speaker, but I don’t suppose that this will be much of a concern for 2-channel use.

Jeff-Watson

Stunt Coordinator
Along the lines of the speaker you have listed so far I would check out the Polk RTI70. The prices have come way down and they have a wonderful sound to them. Good Luck.

GregC

Stunt Coordinator
Given your comments, I'd recommend that you listen to Infinity, Vandersteen, and Vienna Acoustics. No info on your price range, so I've recommended a wide variety. I've searched and searched for the perfect speaker .. haven't found one yet. If you do let us all know!

BruceTM

Agent
Question: Are the Yamaha ns-555/777's a quality product in your opinions? Do they compare with anything that your have heard? Thanks, in advance.

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
I have a suggestion:

Wharfedale Pacific Evolution

The Evo's are clear and detailed with exceptional midrange. Bass is tight and clean. IMO, the Evo's are on the warmer side and are not bright or harsh. They do HT well, but I think they shine at when it comes to 2 channel music. They are manufactured using real wood veneers, which makes them aesthetically pleasing as well.

IMO, their best feature is value. Their performance to cost ratio makes them an exceptional buy. I always have good things to say about the Evo's....they are simply on par with other speakers that cost considerably more.

If you can find a dealer near you, give them an audition.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Bruce:

Many good suggestions here.

You've already listened to some very good, very high-profile contenders, which receive a lot of love around here (B&W, Paradigm, PSB), and you came away dissatisfied. I'm guessing you didn't audition them at home, with your equipment, in your listening room. That could make all the difference in the world.

There's certainly nothing wrong with choosing the Yamaha speakers, particularly since you've done your homework and given them the highest grade sofar. Again, I'd find a way to bring them home, and see if you still like them in your setup.

I don't get much from auditions in showrooms or noisy big-box retailers. A test drive at home is key, if you can swing it.

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
See, Bruce, look at the can of worms you opened by starting this thread. We'll keep your rear busy for several weeks to come with all the speaker recommendations we'll throw at you. Heck, you may never get around to buying a pair. And, I agree with Angelo about the in-home audition. It truly is the best way to see what you'll like the best.

So, when you were describing what you are looking for out of a speaker, it sounded like what my thoughts are on the NHT M5's. The M5's are usually mated with their B5 counterparts, which is a stand for them with a 12" sub in each. But, since you already have a sub, you could just get the M5's, along with some P5 pedastels (no sub) also sold by NHT.

http://www.nhthifi.com/home_product.asp?subjectid=11

I chose these over some Paradigm Studio 100's v2 and B$W CDM 7NT's. I had some very similar observations to yours regarding these speaker brands. NHT's are some of the cleanest, most detailed sounding speakers that I have heard for all music. I auditioned blues, rock, hip hop, techno, more rock, and even rap on them. Sounded great with everything. Also, a pair will run you just shy of $1K, so they represent an excellent value.

Some other options to consider before giving up would be some Morduant-Short (I'm thinking about anchoring a 2nd system with some of these) and KEF (namely their XQ line - little pricey, but good overall sound). Happy Listening!!!

BruceTM

Agent
Well,

I went over to BB and grabbed a pair of Yamaha ns-555 floorstanders. There are some words that can describe my first impressions of these. Words like WOW, DYNAMIC, CLARITY. There are also some cliches which can be used, number one being I HAVE DIED AND GONE TO HEAVEN. I actually bought these to see if I would like a bright speaker. So far, so good.

George J

Auditioning
Bruce,
I have NS-555 for my mains from BB. I have been lurking here and on other HT forums to find out the best way to go about it. The best advice I liked was 'buy the best speakers you can afford and build your system around it progressively'. So i bought the NS-555 at an unbelievable $129 EACH (this made the pair cheaper than anything on the internet). Frankly I could not distinguish the sound quality between them and the others (JBL/Athena) when I was in BB and somehow 129 bucks really kept ringing in my ears.;)
You will need a sub to really appreciate the whole spectrum. I have a yamaha YST-SW215, which is quite adequate for my living room.

DavidCooper

Stunt Coordinator
Wow..who would have thought that a Yamaha speaker would sound better than Paradigm, B&W, and even Athena! Speaker listening is TRULY subjective! I'm totally amazed.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Wow..who would have thought that a Yamaha speaker would sound better than Paradigm, B&W, and even Athena!
And who would have thought this thread would get resurrected after a year in hibernation! Glad everyone is happy w/ their speakers, of course.

And: strip some speakers of their brand names or otherwise disguise them and I have no doubt that you'd continue to be surprised at what folks prefer when blinded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks