Speaker/room config (help me decide)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by ChrisDixon, Apr 12, 2005.

1. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

I will be moving to a new house later this month. I'm going to put my home theater into a 18'x13' family room, and I'm debating between two configurations. I've attached a Visio diagram (converted to jpeg image) of each one. I'm very interested to hear from people who have experimented with similar situations. Of course, I will probably do some listening in both configurations, but the purpose of this post is to get other opinions and perspectives.

Setup 1 (tv along the 18' side, couch against opposite wall)
    Setup 2 (tv above fireplace on 13' side, couch in the middle)

Setup 1 probably looks better, and the room is already wired for surround in this configuration, but I can't do 7.1 and I think reflections may be an issue. Setup 2 does not have the couch against the wall and has potential for 7.1, but seems a bit cramped.

Image: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attac...839&fullpage=1

Thanks for your input.

Chris

2. MikeDuke

MikeDuke Stunt Coordinator

I like No 2
    It just looks like a better fit to me. You don't have to have the surrounds right over your head. I like the fact that there is space behind the couch. But that is based of a picture. But in the end if it is not the look you are looking for, then it does not matter. Good luck.

3. jamiee

jamiee Auditioning

Yeah I like setup #2 as well.

Look's more sonically sound & having the screen @ a 90deg. angle to a door/opening/window is preferable (helps minimalise glare).

The big question though is how high will the screen be over the fireplace? You don't wanna break anyones neck [​IMG]

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I like #2 also, except for the TV above the fireplace. That would be a deal-breaker for me – I like to have the display at eye level, or slightly higher. What Jamiee said - I really don’t like having to cock my neck up to watch TV. Also, there might be some heat issues putting the TV over the fireplace, and it may be hard to hide the cables.

I really don’t like the couch against the wall, but I’d prefer that to the high display. Mike had a good point about the surround speakers being so close, however – could they be moved?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Many (maybe most) Plasma manufacturers will void your warranty if the set is placed above a fireplace. I wouldn't want $2k - $10k sitting directly above a source of smoke/sult that rises as its produced. My father runs an electronics repair shop and for years has been ranting about how damaging cigarette smoke is to PCBs, I can't help but think fireplace smoke would be as bad or worse, expecially if it were a wood burning fire place.

6. MikeDuke

MikeDuke Stunt Coordinator

I'll help out Chris here. On another forum he indicated that
    "Thanks for the input. One thing that I didn't mention is that this fireplace was "added on" to the room by the previous owners. My wife and I have also discussed the possibility of just having it removed. Maybe not right away, but it's a thought since I don't think we'll ever use it."
    and
    "No worries there. I am not going to use the fireplace if I keep it at all. Besides the heat, I wouldn't want smoke to be anywhere near my gear."
    So it seems that the fire place is a non-issue.
    Just though I would add that for him.[​IMG]

7. ChrisDixon

ChrisDixon Second Unit

Thanks for all the input. Once we actually move in, I'll probably try the speakers in a few different configurations and make the final call. I think option 2 is probably not going to happen. When I looked more closely at the fireplace setup, the TV would be too high. Taking it out would brobably devalue the house a little bit (and cost a bunch!).

Chris