Speaker Resistances

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by PushkarDighe, Dec 11, 2001.

1. PushkarDighe

PushkarDighe Auditioning

Jun 28, 2001

I have B&W Speakers for front and a Local make Dipole speakers as rear as a part of my HT setup.

The thing is the resistance of B&Ws as checked on a multimeter is 4 ohms and of Dipoles is 8 ohms. My Yamaha reciver has a switch which can be set either to 4 ohms min. for Front and 6 ohms min. for rear OR 8 ohms min for all speakers.

I am at loss as to what settings to keep the reciver. My main fear is my marantz amp which I had brought with my B&Ws earlier has blown up its power transistors twice in last three years which I feel is due to the less resistances of my B&Ws and obviously i dont want to face similar problems with my New yamaha reciver.

Kindly help Please...
  2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Aug 1, 2000
    Speakers are rated for impedance, not resistance. You cannot accurately measure the impedance of most speakers with a multi-meter's resistance setting because of the capacitors and inductors in the circuit. Speakers from different manufacturers or even different models from the same manufacturer may have the same impedance, but different resistance. Impedance depends on how the engineer designed the crossovers and voicecoil circuits. To measure true impedance you need an impedance analyzer, a $15K piece test equipment. Alternatively, if you have a schematic of the circuit that includes all the values you could calculate the theroretical impedance.
    But the easiest thing to do is to check the manufacturer's specifications and set the switch on the Yammie accordingly.[​IMG]