Speaker Repair

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JayDaniel, Jul 19, 2002.

1. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Wasn't sure if this topic fit better here or in the speaker forum.

I have a pair of vintage (late 70s early 80s) Marantz speakers, paired with a vintage Marantz receiver (purchased as a package). They have a tweeter, midrange, 8" woofer, and 8" passive radiator woofer. They are still in very good shape. The surrounds are intact, and the cones are undamaged. On one, a static noise is coming from the midrange.
    I've never tried much in the way of speaker repair. To verify, I opened the back of the speaker and simply disconnected the +/- connections to the midrange, and the noise obviously went away. Hope that didn't damage anything else. All seems to work fine.

Could this be a faulty voice coil, or something else? And how difficult would a repair be? Thanks.

JayDaniel

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

A repair on the outside might be a bit prohibitive given the age and probable value of the speakers. Possible that you've just got a bad connection there. See what you can do about cleaning the contacts and see if that takes care of it. I'm guessing from your description that two wires from the crossover attach to the midrange via a friction fit push/pull arrangement. If so there's also a possibility that there's a bad connection there. If its soldered to the wire, you might want to carefully resolder it and see if that works. We'll keep trying till we get it right.

3. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, I'll give that a try and post the results.

JayDaniel

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

If this doesn't work, what's the visual condition of the midrange in your estimation? Compare it to the other. I don't know if this is possible, but you might be able to switch midranges to further isolate the problem.