What's new

Speaker repair question? (1 Viewer)

Bo-Cephus

Stunt Coordinator
Have a pair of B&W DM 601's (1st series) that I use for rears. One of the speakers is staticy on low frequency sounds (tweeter is fine). At times sound doesn't even come through only light static on the low's. I'm not a speaker repair expert, but I was wondering if this symptom is typical of some particular well-known problem that would be easy to remedy, or is it more complicated than that? I switched the rears and wired them with single and with bi-wires, still the same so I'm pretty sure it's the speaker and not my sources/connections.

Also, if I need to take it in, can most repair places deal with this or should I stick to B&W authorized repair shops (if there are any). Thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sounds like the voice coil is fried, possibly due to it being clipped. There is one solution - replace the bad driver. Biwiring isn't going to make any difference.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
John’s right about the driver, but it could also be a bad crossover. I suggest swapping out the woofers between the two speakers. If the problem moves to the other speaker, then it’s the driver. If not, it’s the crossover.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
I have had good luck in the past with "Orange County Speaker Repair" if you dont want to tackle it?
(no relation to the motorcycle shop :) )

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It could be a bad x-over, but 9 times out of 10 when a speaker exhibits what he is describing, it is a bad driver. The "scratchy" sound is ususally a dead give away. Good call on the driver swapping Wayne, I forgot to mention that as a good way to test for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks