Speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony-B, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I am looking into getting a set of speakers for my home theater, and I wanted to know what you guys recommend. I am looking to spend $500 or less. I was looking into the JBL SCS135SI or the JBL SCS150SI. Which one of those are better? If you have other speakers you want to suggest, just post them! Thanks!!!

2. peter a

peter a Stunt Coordinator

tony-
    you are going to hear people reccomend the axioms. from what i gather, they are a very well built peice of equipment. i'll tell you this much, i used to have 2 technics speakers (about 40 bucks a pop) and if placed correctly, i could rock the house. so, a lot of it will have to be the room set up that you are placing your speakers in. you need to provide dimensions if you want the gurus here to give you a hand. i can say that you've come to the right place for advice. welcome to HTF.
    peter

3. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I am not quite sure on the dimensions, so I will find out a little later. Anyways, I was looking at the *ugh* Bose Acoustimass 6, but then I saw that the "bass module" was not an actual subwoofer, it just did bass for the 5 channels, and it did not play the .1 bass channel on DVDs. [​IMG] Therefore, it would not be true 5.1 sound. I looked at Axiom, but they are way out of my price range. I know someone who likes KLH, but I don't really know if they are right.

4. Sebastien David

Sebastien David Second Unit

what is your price range?
    surely a set of M3ti from Axiom cannot break the bank too much!!

if you're looking at a 5.1 set, look at the Take 5.2 or Encore systems from Energy. surprising for their size/price!

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I have a great recommendation! The Paradigm Monitor 5s for around $520 or less.

A great value.

6. george king

george king Supporting Actor

If this is just for a set of mains, you may want to give the new Kef Q1 a listen.

Hope this helps.

7. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Sébastien David, my price range is less than $500. I saw the M3TI on the Axiom site, but I was looking for a complete set. Also, what do all of you think of the JBLs I mentioned in the first post? I saw the SCS150SI for $475 at Best Buy, and the SCS135SI was $375. Thanks for all the advice so far! [​IMG]

8. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

9. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

10. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I'd Buy JBL Northridge speakers and the $150 Sony 12" sub.

The N-center can be found online for less than $100, and you could easily get 2 pairs of N28s with the left over money.

The N-26 and N-28 are impressive for their price. You can give them a listen at Best Buy. I heard the SCS series and they were nice and tiny, but couldn't get nearly as loud as the Northridge separates.

11. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

My parents bought the scs135 system from Best Buy for $380. For someone on a limited budget or needing very small speakers this is a decent system. In fact, its an excellent example of a Bose beater. The speakers are very close in size to the Bose AM cubes but they actually employ seperate midranges and tweeters instead of the full range drivers in the Bose cubes. Plus the JBL system sports a powered 8 inch subwoofer versus the Bose passive dual 6 inch "bass module". And still the JBL is hundreds less. I wouldn't be surprised if you could find the scs135 for $300 or less from an internet source. Its worth a look.
    The one concern I have is using your receiver to handle the bass management - running all speakers small. The tiny JBL speakers probably don't have any useable output below 120Hz or so. If your receiver has a flexible crossover or a high crossover point then you have nothing to worry about. If its fixed at 80Hz then I would consider an alternate setup:
    Connect the main speaker outputs from the receiver to the sub then from the outputs on the sub to the main speakers. Let the sub handle the crossover for these two speakers (its designed specifically for those speakers and works well). Then connect the surrounds and center to the receiver as normal. Set the mains to large and the center/surrounds to small. You'll still be dealing with a low crossover point for the center/surrounds but at least the mains will be optimized. My parents only have a stereo receiver for now so I don't have any proof that the SCS135 would have problems with an 80Hz crossover, just my suspicions.
    I haven't seen or heard the scs150.

12. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I also thought of using my existing subwoofer in addition to the Bose. Is that a good idea? I also forgot to mention that my parents want small speakers. Hope this helps.

13. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

I would advise against mating another sub with the Bose system. It would be difficult to get the sound right, but really you don't know till you try.

I'd say get the JBL sys and be done with it. Good set-up for a small system.

- C

14. Javon_W

Javon_W Agent

www.htdaudio.com ive had them for a week and the sound is awesome for the price and i could not be happier

15. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Check the JBL NPS1 speaker system and a PB12 or PB12, check etronics.com you can find the in a set with the PB12 for $449, for me is the best set under $500. You wont be disapointed, check the recievers forum under Onkyo SR600, and many people pair this speakers with SR600, and all love the sound the are getting out of it.

Hope this helps,
    Pablo Abularach

16. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Or the speaker specials at Harmanaudio.com

17. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

I think I am going to try out the Bose with the other sub. If I don't like it, or I like the JBL better, I will return it and get the JBL. I am going to be gone for a few days. Thanks for all of the advice, and keep it coming!!! [​IMG]