What's new

Speaker recommendations (1 Viewer)

NateF

Stunt Coordinator
I have been a HT enthusiast for a while, but only recently had the means to realize the dream. 5 months ago I bought a Denon 3801. Last week I bought a CRT projector and 103" 16x9 projection screen.
Here's my speaker setup (bought in pieces during college, except for the Kenwoods, which I got from my father when he bought a Bose system):
Mains: Kenwood LSK-703 (these speakers are probably older than some of the people on this forum - they have a 10" woofer, 6" midrange, and 2" tweeter)
Center: Polk CS350 (a great center for the money, but will need to be upgraded when the rest go up a notch. Will be the last thing I replace methinks.)
Surround: Infinity Reference 2000.3
Subwoofer: none (living in an apartment...)
My question is, what do you guys like in the current speaker market? I'm looking for mains first, since they're the oldest part of my current setup.
Some considerations:
I want floor standing speakers - bookshelf and satellites are not going to cut it. I watch movies a lot more than I listen to music (but they should still perform reasonably well on music). I'm willing to spend up to $2,000 on the pair of mains. I'm planning on buying a sub (maybe SVS Ultra?) when I move out of the apartment, but until then, the mains should be able to handle a decent amount of bass, so I don't feel like I'm missing anything too important.
Do you think it's necessary to have matched speakers all around? At the moment, my speakers are so piss poor that it's really a moot point, but once I start buying for keeps, I want to make sure everything sounds good together.
Thanks,
-Nate

I think the general consensus is, yes, match your speakers if you can as you would want all the speakers in your system to have the same tonal qualities. However, it's also the case that your ears are the best judge. If you have surrounds that are very bright compared to your mains, but they sound good to you in that configuration, then that's all that's important.
Some speakers that come to mind, in no specific order:
Paradigm
Definitive Technologies
Divas by Swans
B&W
Klipsch
KEF
Dynaudio
Polk
Boston Acoustics
Link Removed
NHT
Mirage
nOrh
AR
Happy hunting. :D
[Edited last by Robert_James on August 26, 2001 at 05:18 AM]

Ed C

Stunt Coordinator
If you like the 'British Sound' - clear, crisp, and neutral, then try out B&W, Monitor Audio, and Mission.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I think Robert_James summed it up pretty well- a set from any of those companies...and you wont go wrong.
Get your favorite cd and DVD and go listen to as many as you can - try to keep the amps as close a match as you can. and check to see what the return policy is. some will let you audition at home first... cause what you buy...will not always sound the same once you get it home..
from that..good luck..
------------------
So far, So good, So what
Link Removed
http://thomas2307.homestead.com/thomasworld.html

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Robert just about nailed all of them. You may also want to look at a pair of ACI Sapphires and a Titan II sub. Granted, they are not floorstanders but are excellent for the price and the sub will take care of your future needs. My personal favorite would be a set of nOrh marble 4.0s and an Adire Audio Rava sub. That will run you right at $2,000, if not a little more due to shipping on the Rava. They might be bookshelves but with the sub they will outperfom many of the floorstanding speakers out there. Perhaps you may even want to look at something from Newform Research .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks