Speaker recommendations for new family room

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Castle, Sep 11, 2002.

1. Steve Castle

Steve Castle Auditioning

Hi all,

We're just finishing up an addition to our house that is getting us a family room that's 16'x24' with a boxed cathedral ceiling (starts at 7'6" and goes to 10'). Currently I have Cambridge Soundworks Newton series for fronts, center, rear and sub. Works pretty OK for the room it's in now, much smaller than the new room.

Moving into this new room I want to allow for a good configuration that will allow people watching TV or movies (screen will be about 10-15' away from viewers) to get the best sound. Also when we launch CDs I'd like to make the music fill the room.

Rough budget would be around $1200 for speakers. The sub I'm budgeting separate. Any recommendations would be great.

Thanks!

2. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Well I was going to recommend you JBL but with $1200 just for mains, center and surround you could get a lot better.
    Check Paradim and Axiom speakers, you could get
    AXIOM EPIC MASTER
    Or
    AXIOM EPIC 60

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Must say I agree with Pablo. There are a lot of choices in this range. In addition to his suggestions, there are a number of options available on the WEB. Many on this forum are proponents of Rocket and Diva speakers. The problem is that you have to operate on trust or arrange to hear the speakers from someone in your local area.
    This is not as hard as it appears, because (as with most true believers) these owners are quite interested in spreading the word.
    This link Has information regarding the Divas and this one has information about Rockets. I can’t vouch for either, as I have not heard them, but there are a fair number of people who love them both.
    I have listened to the ones suggested by Pablo and both are very good indeed.

4. AaronMg

AaronMg Stunt Coordinator

I'll reccomend the Totem Dreamcatcher. They sound fabulous and are well made. The only problem would be finding a dealer. [​IMG]

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Steve, do you like the Newtons? What particular models do you have? If you're just worried about the fronts and getting a fuller sound in the bigger room then you could look into getting the Newton M80 bookshelf series (assuming you have something like the MC200 or MC300 for your fronts) and then get the MC500 for the center. I would suspect if you have the S300s for rears that they will be fine in the new room. If you're worried about filling the room, then your receiver is probably going to be an important component as well and how much power it can put out before distorting/clipping.

If you want to get away from CSW Newtons, then I think there a lot of choices from Paradigm, Mirage, JBL, Axiom, etc.

good luck,

--tom

6. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Well, for both music and HT, you might want to check the new Kef Q series.
    For a 5 speaker setup get 2 pairs of the Q1 and a Q9c, add the sub and you are all set. Reviews can be found at the Kef homepage www.kef.com
    Hope this helps.

7. Steve Castle

Steve Castle Auditioning

Thomas,
    I've got the MC300s as fronts & center with the S300s as the rears. For the size room they run in I like their performance. I have the Onkyo 898 controlling the show; am thinking of adding a power amp at some point (after the wallet fills up again [​IMG] ). Again, I'm happy with their performance, but just wondering how they'll perform in the larger space.
    Steve

8. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Steve, I think you might want to give them a try in the new room before spending the money on a new set - unless of course, you have upgraditis [​IMG]
    For me, I did a direct comparison (in my room, using the same equipment and music) of the small Newton M50 bookshelf speakers with the Newton MC200 (this is what the S300s are in direct mode). My wife and I both preferred the sound of the M50s - warmer, less tinny/bright. This is why I mention you might want to try the Newton M80 bookshelf model for the fronts if you don't think the MC300s are filling the room or if you're looking for a little more bass.
    cheers,
    --tom

9. Steve Castle

Steve Castle Auditioning

Thanks for the idea Tom. Within the next 2 weeks all will be finished and it'll be time to move all the gear into the new room. I'm going to give it an honest listen to see how they perform, both music and movie/TV. I maybe surprised. If not then I'm going to look at the M50, and see what the local dealers will do for "test driving" something else. I've looked at all the replies and have gotten some nice ideas from the models recommended.

Steve

10. Philip A

Philip A Agent

Steve,
    I've taken the sight (and sound) unseen plunge on the recommendation of Marc at the Audio Shop in Ottowa http://www.audioshop.on.ca/ and am completely thrilled with the Dahlquist line he hooked me up with (have the QX10's, QX60C, QX6's and a QX4).
    Marc sells Axiom, Paradigm, Totem, Dahlquist, etc. and has had many, many customers pick the Dahlquists over the others with price, performace, build quality, etc. all figured in. Music, HT, Xbox, it all sounds incredible. I know they have a system that will work for you--even the little QX4 is able to go very loud and is phenomenal in the fulness and bass presence for such a small driver...
    Good luck.
    Phil