What's new

speaker recommendations for a newbie (1 Viewer)

MikeGilmour

Auditioning
hey there, i'm new to home theatre and even newer to the forum. currently i have a kenwood-VR 509 receiver and my two front, center and surround speakers are just cheap kenwoods that came with the system. my sub is a cerwin vega 12", anyways, i am on a pretty low budget here, and i would like to get some better speakers. i'm happy with the sub, i just want an overall better sound experience. i'm not going to go out tomorrow and buy anything, however i just want some recommendations on brands, what to buy, what not to buy, etc. i live in ontario canada, and if any of you know of any good dealers in the GTA i'd appreciate some input. any help would be greatly appreciated!! thanks for taking the time to read this and hopefully you can help a newbie out :)

Jason_Me

Stunt Coordinator
Since you live in Canada, you should check out Energy, Paradigm, Mirage, and Athena.

Topher

Stunt Coordinator
I just picked up Polk R30's for mains a Polk CSi30 center and a pair of Polk 15's for the surrounds and I absolutely love them! Of course this is a personal choice, but I think they sound great, a big upgrade from the HTIB crap I had! I got these from Circuit City, R30=$99 each CSi30=$159 (open box) and R15=$39 each. Right around 400 bucks and I couldn't be happier. Now I just need to pick up a good sub and new receiver. :D

MikeGilmour

Auditioning
well, first of all, i appreciate all the help, thank you! i took Jason's advice and checked out paradigm and athena. i went to some review sites and each company's official sites and did some research, afterwords, i made a trip to a couple of stores and took a listen to the paradigms and athenas. as i said, i was looking for something that sounded great and was affordable. so, i decided on the athena audition series, and started myself off on the as-f2 floor standing speakers and picked up the as-c1 center channel. i brought them home last night and watched "fight club". i couldn't be happier! they sound great!! thanks again for the help all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks