What's new

Speaker recommendations - awkward room shape (1 Viewer)

blubboman

Auditioning
Real Name
dan molnar
I am looking to update my speaker system. I have a large family room with an adjoining open kitchen - it's about 19' x 25' total. Because of the shape of the family room, I have to put the TV and speakers system on one of the open walls and not the closed end. The closed end has a door and windows. This forces one speaker kind of into a corner and the other toward the open side.

My current speakers seem to bail toward the open side of the room (kitchen side). I'm not sure I can get the sound to fill the space evenly. I was thinking that speakers with a less focused sound like Mirage OMD-28, Gallo 3.1, or even Def Tech BP7000 series might do a better job. The OMD-28s are out of my price range but I may stretch for something like the Gallos or DT BP7002. I don't think going to a home theater place will help me too much. I'm about half and half movies and music.

Any thoughts? Any other options?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm not sure there is an ideal solution. A receiver with Audyssey may actually be able to do a lot with the situation. Otherwise, I would do what I could to deaden the sound in the corner with the speaker, to help balance things. A more open speaker may improve things, but tend to think they will actually make things worse, since one side will have a lot of reflective surfaces, and the other practically none.

blubboman

Auditioning
Real Name
dan molnar
I'm running an Onkyo TX-SR805 which has Audyssey. I think that does help but it still tunes to a point in the room so you have to pick a spot that is most representative of all the seating areas. I'm going to keep messing with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yacubjkc
Recent bookmarks