Speaker recommendation... sorry for the newb question.

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark.D, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Mark.D

Mark.D Agent

Hi guys,

I'm just about to the point where I need to decide which company I'm going to use to do my install, framing is up in the basement, and now I need the HT guys to run all the wiring before the sheet rock goes up.

I'm looking at 3 speaker options from 3 different sources, all about the same quality and pricing (I think)...

1) Local home theater business... they recommended the Silver line of Monitor Audio set up for 5.1.

2) Another HT business about an hour away recommended JAMO brand speakers, again for 5.1.

3) I found the "Swan" brand speakers from you guys... I'm looking at the Theater Reference package for $4000 which would set me up for 7.1 [​IMG]

My HT room will be about 16ftW x 24ftL... 10 ft. ceilings.

My total budget is $12,000...

That leaves me $4000 for a projector and screen, $1000 for a DVD player, and $1000 for an Amp/reciever, and $1200 for install by the pro's...

Back to the speakers, any comments about the SWAN brand speakers... that's what I'm leaning towards.

---------------------------

Theater Reference

Whoa. Your dedicated media experience needs our best. Four 10" woofers and doubled bass output means earthshaking realism.

- Swan 6.1 Main Speakers
    - Swan C3 Center Speaker
    -Two pairs Swan R3 Dipolar Surround Speakers for 4-channel effects
    -Two Swan Sub10 Subwoofers

MSRP: $5750.00

Insider Price:
    $3999.00 set
    -----------------------------------------

Suggestions?

2. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

You might wanna reconsider the $1000 budget for the recvr/amp...that's a little low to run a room that large. Even the largest inexpensive recvrs (like the HK 7300 for $1300) might have a problem if you wish to play the system at reference levels. Although it wouldn't be a bad idea to try a 7300 and then add externals amps later if you need more power...just reduce the DVD player budget by a little to get there.

3. Mark.D

Mark.D Agent

So, does anybody have the SWAN speakers?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I was at Hi-Fi Buys yesterday, we listened to some Polk Audio speakers and some Saphire Audio's... these speakers sucked compared to the B&W Nautilus speakers we just listened to 20 minutes before at the HT store.

I'd like to know how the Swan speakers sound... any body have them?

4. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

I have the swans, but don't have nearly the ear that many others on the board do. I'll pass on my experiences and indicate where I am passing on what I have read. I have the C3, 2.1's up front and R3's in the rear in a 5.1 system. I have a HSU STF-2 for my sub and a denon 1804 avr.

I love the speakers. I listend to paradigms and klipsch at local stores before I bought. Most forum members think that the swans are very neutral speakers, not overly harsh at all. I use them exclusively for HT and not a bit of music. I haven't heard their subs and most on the forum would recommend mixing and matching speakers with a different brand of sub. It seems to me that the commong thought is that the companies that concentrate exclusively on subs have a performance advantage over those that concentrate on speakers.

I dealt with Jon Lane and he was great about offering advice and keeping me up to speed as to when the speakers would be available. The speakers are damn heavy. The R3's come with wall brackets that sit them flush on the wall, but if you need to ceiling mount, you need aftermarket brackets, which can be expensive as they need to support 25 pounds of speaker. The speakers also come with a decent amount of heavy speaker wire (12 ga. ?) which I used for my fronts as my rears were prewired. The speakers are beautiful in the faux black cherry and must look great in the rosewood. I've had them for about a year and the only upgrade itch I have so far is to add another R3 as a rear center. I've already spoken to Jon about it and they will sell singles. All I need is the disposable funds!

Hope that helps. Sorry, I just don't have enough experience to give you more of an opinion.

5. KeithMoechnig

KeithMoechnig Stunt Coordinator

"and $1200 for install by the pro's... "
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    quick question: What needs to be installed by professionals?
    I don't mean to sound mean, but most people should be able to hook everything else up themselves. If this includes the sheetrock/wire running money it's ok, but I think you can do the rest from there.
    As for swans, they use hivi drivers you can get at parts express. The frequency response is very flat and use a really nice cone material. I haven't heard them, but I've heard lots of reviews saying they're really good. That's what I'd do.
    And as said earlier, you may want to spend more than 1000 on the amp. Lower the DVD budget.

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

You haven't heard any of the three systems?!?

7. Will-Layfield

Will-Layfield Stunt Coordinator

My friends dad owns Jamo speakers and I was not overly impressed ....I can't say I have every heard a swan/monitor HT though.

8. Mark.D

Mark.D Agent

The HT store I'm dealing with charges $140 an hour, and they're about 1 1/2 hours away too [​IMG]

I misquoted their fees... its actually $2240 for their install which includes ALL wires and cables, running all the lines before sheetrock goes up, once the room is finished they hook everything up and then tune all the speakers to fire at the right time, and program the remote.

Here's what I'm looking at:

Swan HT reference package: $3999 (internet)
    (although, now I'm looking to drop the subs for another brand, that leaves me $1000 to spend on a single sub).

Harmon Kardon AVR 7300 I found on the net for $1319 (net)
    Harmon Kardon DVD player: $199 (net)

Optoma H57 projector, 106" screen + extra bulb $3750 (HT store)

MX 3000 remote $649 (net)

Installation Fee $2240

GRAND TOTAL: $12156

This leaves me about $3000 for seating to stay around my $15K HT budget... I'm looking to get the Nemesis seats, 1 row of 4 seats, from 4seating.com... black leather with stone/taupe suede two tone seats... very sweet. I plan to make my own 7" riser upon which we'll have a black leather sofa behind the seats.

Like I said, I'm looking to upgrade the Subwoofer... I may upgrade the projector to the H77 too.

I was surprised how much cash I could save... for example, they HT store wanted $999 for the remote that I found for $350 less! + no tax and usually free shipping when ordering out of state [​IMG] The only $$ I intend to pay the HT store is for the projector/screen and installation fees.

So, any reommendations on a SubWoofer for about $1000?

9. Jacob C

Jacob C Second Unit

Prepare to be bombarded. Most people here recommend HSU and SVS. I hear very good things about both. I am thinking about an HSU VTF3 but am still considering SVS. Im not as familiar with the ability of these subs to fill your room but you can give HSU or SVS a call and they will be more than happy to make a recommendation. Word is they are both very good with their customers.