Speaker recommendation....I am looking at the Polk CSi40, RTi70 and FXi50

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tuan Le, Sep 1, 2003.

1. Tuan Le

Tuan Le Agent

Hi guys,

First, I would like to say this forum rocks!!! [​IMG] I've been lurking around for awhile and finally decided to sign up. [​IMG]

My GF and I just bought a new house, so it's perfect time for me to put together a decent home theater system. Our budget is about $3000 or so for the speakers, sub and receiver. Below are the equipment I am looking at. Please give me your thought on how they would sound together as a package. Any suggestions/tips/recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Receiver = Onkyo TX-SR800 ~$750
    Front Tower Speakers = Polk Audio RTi70 ~$500
    Center Channel = Polk Audio CSi40 ~$300
    Rear Surround Speakers = Polk Audio FXi50 ~$350
    Subwoofer = SVS PB2-ISD $900

2. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

Very good choices for home theater speakers. Onkyo sounds good to me with Polk speakers. Teamed with the forthcoming musical PB2-ISD subwoofer, you'll have the low end well taken care of. When teamed with a good subwoofer, some regard the RTi70 the better speaker for home theater above the larger RTi100 and RTi150. I see you've picked bipole/dipole surrounds. They're great for home theater, but so-so for multichannel high resolution audio. A Denon receiver like the AVR3803 would allow you the option of switching between two different sets of surround speakers for different sources in the future. With the AVR3803 one can switch between sets of bipole/dipole and direct radiating speakers for different sources. My personal preference right now would be to get two sets of RTi70s and a Denon receiver instead of the Onkyo and FXi50s.

Good luck with whatever you get. You're getting a great value right now.

3. Jarvis_R

Jarvis_R Agent

Just in case you were looking at the bigger fronts, the circuit city's near me have the RTI100's on clearance for 199 each.

4. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Congrats on the new house!

Have you demoed any of the above equipment? If you like what you've heard, then that's all that should matter [​IMG]

Also, how big is the room where you'll put them in? I assume that most of the listening will be geared toward HT?

5. Joel McIntosh

Likewise, in case you are looking for bigger front speakers, just today (09/06) Circuit City put the Polk RTi150s at a clearence price of $299 each. I originally bought the RTi70s for $299 about two weeks ago, and I went back to the store and the sales guy told me about the new 150s price. I returned my RTi70s and got the RTi150s for the same price! I like my new 150s better then my 70s; however, I really liked the latter as well. In general, I would say the 150s seem to give a richer, more full sound.

6. Mark Russ

Mark Russ Second Unit

Congrats Joel! I lucked out and got mine for $285 each. I bought 3 pairs of them at that price! You got a great deal on them as well. I'd have never paid full price for them when they were $1500 a pair, but for $600 or less, it is truly a no-brainer to buy these speakers. I was originally planning on eventually trading mine up within a year for a new pair of the forthcoming RTi12s, but now I just don't know. At the price you and I got ours for, you'd just as well keep the 150s until the 12s also eventually get clearanced priced (which they will at some point in time sooner or later).
    I think they are a great speaker for rock music and movies. Do a search for RTi150 on this forum and read my recent review on them. What amp/receiver are you planning to drive them with? They really need a LOT of power to really play up to their capabilities. I'd say a seperate power amp of at least 200 watts per channel minimum.
    Whatever you do though, don't go to the Polk forum and say what you did about the 70. Over there, a lot of them seem to be convinced that the 70 is the best speaker Polk makes, period. Seemingly even more so than the LSis. A lot of them seem to really be sold on that extra passive midrange driver being the greatest thing ever.

7. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Second Unit

Those speakers would be great choices. I just got the RTi38 fronts and CSi30 senter and love them to pieces. The fact that they were on sale did not exactly hurt either.

One word of caution: move quick before they're gone!! The new line is coming out soon. I checked out Circuit City's website to see if prices may have dropped some more. What I found is that the 38s were gone, so I ain't kidding about moving fast. The sale prices make these Polks unbeatable.

8. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Although I can't really say I love Polk (They were my starter set of Hifi), what I can say about your setup is that you should DEFINITELY make use of the Circuit City 1 year return policy. So long as your speakers are in tip top shape and I think you might need the orig boxes too, you can return the speakers w/i 1 year to get 100% of that towards higher end speakers. That way, when they close out another year's line, you'll have your speakers ready to trade in! I would have done the same had I not gone on to the Paradigms that I currently own.

9. Clint

Clint Stunt Coordinator

I unfortunately purchased the Polk 150's not quite at that sale price, but I think they are definitely worth what I paid for.

Pre-Pro = Outlaw 950
    Amplifier = Outlaw 770
    Front Tower Speakers = Polk Audio RTi150
    Center Channel = Polk Audio CSi40
    Rear Surround Speakers = Polk Audio FXi50
    Subwoofer = None

10. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

Clint,
    Go back to the store where you got your RTi150s or call to check as soon as you can. If you bought them on sale less than a month ago, the store may have a lower price now that final clearance is taking place. I happily bought a second pair a couple of weeks ago for $475 each. A couple of days ago, I was returning something to CC and went to check on the prices. The unadvertised price was down to $285 each! I've also heard of a couple of cases in different parts of the country where the final prices were even lower.

11. Clint

Clint Stunt Coordinator

Mark,

I would like to but no can do, it was an online purchase from an online-only company. Oh well.

12. Chris Sigua

Chris Sigua Stunt Coordinator

13. Jarvis_R

Jarvis_R Agent

I purchased the 100's last week for 189 each from circuit city. But I had to pick them up from a different store, because my local was out of stock. So I finally got around to picking them up today. When I arrive at the other store, to my surprise, they have the 150's in stock. So for another 60 I was able to get the 150's. Can't wait to hook them up.

On a side note, today was the first time anyone in circuit city was able to answer any of my questions about the new models. The manager didn't have a date, but at least he knew what I was talking about. He gave me the same price that we've been seeing on the web as well.

14. Joel McIntosh

Hey Chris ... No, there is only one kind of RTi150. I don't know what happened. One weekend they were on sale for $299, and then the next weekend they had gone up to the $449 price. It's very weird.

15. JamesKr

JamesKr Agent

Go for the Denon 3803. I have the 3803 with RTi70s, CSi40, RTi28s, and FXi30's. Paired with a good sub and you have an incredible home theater.

16. Mando-R

Mando-R Stunt Coordinator

I'll check the store cost price on RTi150's at Circuit City so you can get a better understanding of how it works. Let me give you an example.

The Polk RM6700 5 satellite set is about 600 dollars retail, but for employee's it's 278 dollars. The same kind of price increase can be seen in the much higher model RM7200 satellites, which retail for 1300 dollars with a 8" powered subwoofer. This set can be bought at store cost for 590 dollars.

The price increases/decreases can be explained by the fluctuation of inventory. Some area's have a high overstock of Polk speakers because they're just so damned expensive, so the district managers agree to offer an advertised lower price to free up space, but don't get it confused: Unless it's computer related, the price will always give the company profit.

17. Jarvis_R

Jarvis_R Agent

Chris,
    The RTi's are all on sale, because the new models are scheduled to come out with in the next couple of months. I'm pretty happy with this years model, but I may trade up when the new models are released.

18. Tuan Le

Tuan Le Agent

Guys, I appreciate all the feedback. [​IMG] I went ahead and bought the Onkyo TX-SR800 at oncall.com for $712 shipped. [​IMG] (Talk to Michael).

I might follow the same route as some of you above and get the Polk RTI150 instead. However, all the Circuit City I went to has it for $489.99 each. DAMN!!! [​IMG] I would bought them in a heart beat if the prices is anywhere near $299. Can you guys post the phone number of the Circuit City you bought the RTI150 from? Maybe I can get them to price match. [​IMG]

Once again, I appreciate all the feedback.

Cheers
    -Tuan

19. Mark All

Mark All Second Unit

Sorry about that Tuan. The stores in my area sold out of all their remaining RTi150s, even the demos, last week it seems. They're not even available for delivery from CC's Web site. You may be able to find a demo pair later for less than the $489.99 if you call around locally. Seems the speakers suddenly became very popular at one third of their retail value. [​IMG]

20. Tuan Le

Tuan Le Agent

Thanks Mark.....I have called about 3 stores already but no luck..... [​IMG].....Time to start calling all the CC's 50 miles out. [​IMG]