What's new

Speaker Recomendations (1 Viewer)

James_C

Agent
I am just starting to get into the home theater subject. I currently have a JVC 8000 receiver, a sony dvd player and infinity speakers. I would like to get a better set of speakers. I would like to spend under $1500 and my space in limited. I have been doing some research on sub/sat packages and I am lost!! Please help! I have herd that Paradigm Cinema and Energy Take 5 are good systems. Does anyone else have any ideas?? Does B & W have a sub/sat system?
[Edited last by James_C on August 22, 2001 at 08:14 AM]

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
IMO, the Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 100.6 system is the best sub/sat value on the market. Superb music and movie sound, and I run mine with the Sony DE-835. I can't imagine how great they could be with a higher quality component. The set sells for $1350 retail, but most shops will work with you a little. I got mine for $1200, which is a little more than some systems, but I've NEVER regretted the price.
A lot of people here have upgraded the center, which after doing an A/B comparison the other day, I'm about to do the same thing.

KevinW

Stunt Coordinator
I forgot to add that the set has a very high SAF. Beautifully sculpted with supplied table-top stands that can double as wall mounts. I did hang my surrounds upside down. I fell that it added to the overall clarity, but that's one of those things that is room specific.
Good luck and enjoy what ever you get!

John Gates

Second Unit
I personally have not heard anything that can compete with the nOrh 4.0 package that Bryan recommends. Not sure about Adire Audio, but the Dharman has wonderful specs. I have two SVS 20-39's to go with my nOrh 4.0's and they integrate wonderfully.
Also, check out Axiom, Swan's Diva line (www.av123.com), and Home Theater Direct. These are all internet-only companies (in addition to nOrh and SVS) that, IMO, offer exceptional sound value at their price point.
John
------------------

george king

Supporting Actor
It is interesting that you should be looking for speakers in this price range. This month, The Perfect Vision reviewed 4 packages in this range (Paradigm Atom, Def Tech Pro Cinema 100, Tannoy MX, and PSB), and I think last month, The Absolute Sound did a similar review. Also, Stereophile Guide to Home Theater did a similar review in this months edition. You may want to check them out.
Hope this helps. BTW, I have a Kef Q series setup and love it for HT and music, and this setup was favorably reviewed in some of the above magazines.

James_C

Agent
I have herd great things about the nOrth systems but I don't think I can get my wife to like the shape.

James_C

Agent
I have herd great things about the nOrth systems but I don't think I can sell them to my wife due to the shape of the speakers. :)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Check out the Axioms. For $1500, you can get a set of great speakers and have some money leftover for DVDs.
One thing though...you have to buy them sight unseen/unheard unless you know someone that has some. However, they come with a 30 day money back guarantee if you're not happy with them...but you will be!

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Never know unless you try. She may allow you to increase the budget and get the marble speakers that exude class and will go with most any decor out there. A benefit of the ceramics is they can pretty much be any color that she wants (within reason). She may decide she likes them. If nothing else, try to find someone that has them in your area and take her along to listen to them and see them in person. You never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks