Speaker Recomendation Klipsch JBL?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jose Lasso, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Jose Lasso

Jose Lasso Auditioning

Im buying my first Home theater system with my money. I have a medium sized room with a Sony Wega 32 TV And planning to buy a Harman Kardon AVR 225 or 320 but i need the speakers .I am planning to use it for music and HT and have a 600 budget for the speakers without sub. First I wanted Klipsch Synergy System 6 but after I read about JBL now im more in JBL side please help me get the best speakers for my budget.

2. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Jose:
    For the JBLs, the NSP-1 series speakers seem to get pretty good recommendations here on the forum.
    I'm not too sure about the Klipsch speakers, so someone else will have to chime in about those.

3. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

Jose,
    Dont turn down KLIPSCH is a very good speakers also. There are a lot of Klipsch owners here that will give you good opinins, now I dont like them personally because of the tweeter design, but this could be for you a plus, it all depends on your preferences and likings. Klipsch is a brand that either you love it or hate it, but I dont know why.
    Try audition both, and see what do you like best.
    Now with JBL, and having a $600 budget without sub, you will be able to buy Studio series (which I own and like very much). Audition the following,
    JBL S-CENTERII 3-Way, Dual 5 1/4" Center Channel Speaker $128
    Four JBL S26II 2-Way 6" Bookshelf Speaker ($170pair) $340
    TOTAL $468 + shipping you will be around $550.
    Now if you can go a little up, etronics has the S36 in $230, so it will go to $460 + Scenter $128, exactly $588 + shipping. But with this speakers you will need a sub.
    JBL S36II 3-Way, 6" Vertical/Horizontal Bookshelf Speaker $230
    Hope this helps,
    Pablo

4. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

For a $600 dollar budget without sub, the S series is much better choice than the N series.

I am currently auditioning the S38's at home and they are very impressive.

Robert

5. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

You also might consider some of the systems from Home Theater Direct.com

They seem to be good bargains, but you can only listen to them by ordering...

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

If you like white speakers, then the JBL S36AWs are available at a steal of a price. There are a couple of different vendors that have them available for $170 a pair online. This comes out to around $200 a pair after shipping. They are a horizontal monitor style speaker, similar to the S38s. They don't have the frequency extension of the S38s, or even the S26s, due to the fact that they are not ported (the only speaker in the N and S series that isn't). Because of this, they are very smooth, and still make it down to around 60hz, which is well below your probably crossover level of 80hz.
    3 pairs of these in a 6.1 setup matched with a good sub would offer a perfectly acoustically matched system that will come in right at your $600 price mark.
    Only thing is, you have to like white. [​IMG]

7. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Jose:

The S-series speakers are indeed a significant step above the N-series (NSP-1) as far as quality (and price) is concerned, so it's probably worth it to save up a little more and get the S36's.

Be sure to get a nice sub if you do end up getting bookshelf speakers, though. Smaller speakers don't really have the punch that larger speakers do in the lower ranges of your movie soundtracks. Those lower ranges are where you REALLY want the power in HT -- so don't neglect a good subwoofer, ESPECIALLY if your speakers are small.