speaker/receiver ratio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James Linkous, Jan 6, 2002.

1. James Linkous

I am going to purchase Energy Encore satalite speakers(sats are my only option with my room setup).

With the limitations of such speakers, at what point does the quality of the receiver not matter. Will a $300 Onkyo, Kenwood, etc sound as good as a mega buck setup, due to speaker limitations.

Anyone suggest a good match for these speakers < $400.

Link

2. James Linkous

3. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

The best speakes in the world will sound like the crap they are hooked up to.

I've never heard of a bad speaker from Energy. So, buy the best you can afford. There are many good systems available for $300 and up...

Good Luck!

- CM

4. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

denon avr1802, i paid 373 bucks online ( have no idea about the warranty though )

5. Sean Conklin

Sean Conklin Screenwriter

As far as I'm concerned speaker quality comes first and I think the speakers account for 75% or more of the overall quality of your system.

The budget Kenwood's and Onkyo's will more than suffice for your proposed speaker purchase.

Futhermore I will recommend the Kenwood VR-507 or 509, both of which are well below the $400 cap.

6. MichaelG

MichaelG Second Unit

I spent $800 on a Denon AVR3300 a few years ago. A year before I spent $2200 (something like that) on my speakers (M&K THX 750Front L/C/R, 550Surround L/R, MX125MarkII Sub). Now I haven't looked at high end audio amps or separates, but it seems to me that if you want a quality sound system that you should be spending at least twice as much on speakers or more (but probably more). All those Paradigm Reference 20's/40's are a bit more expensive than my M&K's, but I doubt that *most* people here are running them from $2k-$3k amps. As said before, the best stereo will still sound like crap when used with crappy speakers, but it seems that you can get a good receiver for less than good speakers.