speaker/receiver advice

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by steve lucchetti, Sep 10, 2003.

1. steve lucchetti

I am in the process of hooking up a HT for a family room 20'X 22' with a two story ceiling, which opens up to the rest of the lower story. I have read a bunch of threads on speakers and need some guidance toward's brand/size etc. I will be using them mostly for HT.

I have heard Klipsch & B&W. A sound tech. that came out to look at wiring etc. was pushing Snell's, which I have not heard. I am leaning toward's Axioms but have not heard their sound. My speaker budget is $1500-$2000 not including a sub. I have read good things about SVS & HSU subs.

I'll post my receiver question on the receiver forum.

Thanks

Steve

2. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

I think you are on the right mark by considering SVS and HSU for a sub.

I am not a big fan of B&W's 600 series. Even some of the best buy stuff (Athenas, for example) can readily compete with these, for less money even. The CDM NT series is where B&W starts to get good, IMO. However, I personally think they aren't a very good value when you consider their price. Don't get me wrong, the CDM NT's are competent speakers...its just that one can do better for similar or less money.

Axioms are excellent speakers. I personally place them above B&W's CDM NT series. I think Axiom is more on par with the Nautilus series. I haven't had a chance to listen to the new 700 series yet, so I cannot offer my opinion on those.

I auditioned Klipsche when I was first searching, and I did like them but they were a little too bright for my taste. I didn't like the center channel at all....which is why I ruled them out early in my search. I would like to add that I auditioned Klipsche around a year ago, and they were not the newer reference series.

I heard a pair of Snell floorstanders at a party once. I thought they were quite good....good enough that I asked the homeowner 'who makes those speakers?' I really didn't give them a critical listen....but their midrange and highs immediately caught my ear. Very nice.

3. Jay McC

Jay McC Agent

I'm an owner/advocate for Definitve Technology for HT setups. They've always gotten good reviews in the magazines and for my ears they are hard to beat. The problem is that the front 3 speakers (pair of bp2006s and clr2300) will put you at $1800 and add on a pair of bp2x and your upto $2300. A better option might be a pair of bp8's, clr2002, and bp2x for surrounds which would put you at $1800 list price. Add in a Supercube and you'll have an awesome HT setup.

But if Def Tech is not your style, i also like B&W. They sound and look great, but i'm not sure of their prices. As for Klipsch and Snell for HT, one is too bright and the other can be too flat for my tastes.

I looked for your reciever tread, but did not find it so i'll just say it here. I personally like Rotel. My rsx1055 brings out the best in my Def Techs and also sounded good with B&W.

Whatever you decide, what you want to watch out for is matching a reciever with a speaker of the same traits. Coupling an amplifier that is a little bright with a speaker that is also pronounced in the upper frequency range will just amplify their traits. And the same can be said for a speaker/reciever combo that is very warm and you may wind up with something that sounds so even it appears lifeless.

So to sum up Def Tech good. Rotel good match. B&W not too bad either and a little more appealing to the eye. Klipsch good for music. Good luck and trust your ears.

4. steve lucchetti

Thanks for the info, do you know where I can listen to and purchase some Def Techs?

5. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well for speakers I definantly like Klipsch for Home Theater viewing. If your playing a little more music might want to look into Athena's or JBL.

Of course you have to remember while one person may like one company's speakers another person may hate them. Klipsch is bright and I have noticed much clearer vocals, not to mention that they are a very efficient speaker. Since it is more efficient it needs less power to power it... basically it will get louder... much easier.

Hope this helps you in your search for a speaker that suits you.