Speaker reccos?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Main, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

This past January I setup my living room.
    Energy Encores---wife didnt want those big things near the fireplace
    Sony STR-945
    Sony 36 kv 27 or something (not xbr [​IMG] )
    So in a few weeks my basement will be complete and Im actively looking for my new HT setup.
    So Im stepping up a little bit and am looking for recommendations on fronts (floor standing--the basement belongs to men) that are good for HT but also perform well with music (60/40 split HT/music). Price range is $1k-$2k.
    I went to listen to some Mirage series for $1400-not bad
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks Mike
    ------------------

2. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Do they absolutely need to be floor standers? If not, you may want to look at a pair of ACI Sapphires with the Titan II sub. If you are good with wood work, then you could go with the ACI Jaguar kits and build 4 or 5 of the Jaguars. You could also look at B&W Nautilus 805 or 804 or some nOrh SM 6.9s or marble 7.0s. Paradigm Studio 100s or Swan Diva 6.1s are additional options.

3. Mikey B

Mikey B Stunt Coordinator

If you like Mirage, try listening to the HDT series. They are slightly out of your price range at retail ($1250/each), but they are fantastic. If you can get a good deal....Highly recommended. As for others, I don't think you can go wrong with anything in that price range from Paradigm, PSB, NHT, JM Labs, B&W, M&K and probably many others. If you like a good deal (like I do), you may be able to find some discontinued speaker lines from NHT and JM Labs at much discounted prices. I've also seen a couple dealers advertise PSB "B" stock items at very nice discounts. Some Online speakers that get great reviews are Axiom and the Swan Divas. I think those would be worth checking out too. You don't have to spend a lot to get a lot necessarily. Go demo, and pickup whatever stuns you!

4. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

You should definitely check out Definitive Technology at www.definitivetech.com They make amazing speakers...just give the rears 1-3 feet to fire, keep about 5-10 feet in between the speakers, and keep the sides free from obstructions for the side-firing subs (which should probably fire outward). You might be able to find that 2000TL for 2000/pair...this is a truly amazing speaker. See the reviews for this speaker at www.audioreview.com and it will give you an idea how to set up the speakers. Generally I recommend driving them with something like yamaha rx-v1, b&k avr307, high end Marantz, or Denon 5800. Good luck!

5. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

BUMP [​IMG]
    ------------------