Speaker rebuild questions

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Dean-P, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

I"ll start of with a story followed by some questions:

I picked a pair of Sound Dynamics 100s speakers(10" woofer & cone tweeter) from a friend. The woofers needed refoaming, and after another posted question as to replace or refoam, the refoaming was the better option (thanks to ThomasW), so off they went. (still waiting for them to return).
    I own Athena speakers, asb-2 (fronts) asc-1 and now these SD 100s, which will go to the front and the asb-2s to the back. I want to build new boxes to match my Athena line...

Questions:
    1)Is it okay to change the box shape as long as I keep same volume?
    2)The vent is located in the front top left corner next to the tweeter; can I change it to the lower bottom centre below the woofer?
    3)If I increase the volume size to accommodate the new tower design; what size would be a safe increase?
    4)The vent is 3"x 14" non-flared; if I could/would increase the volume how much would this decrease?
    5)As stated above for the vent size and shape, how much shorter could the vent be if it was flared at both ends?
    6)The 100s uses fiberglass insulation for dampening; could I use polyester battening instead and where should it be installed? Sides,bottom?

Thanks in advance...Dean

2. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

Well I finished these up last week. Built new cabinets, veneered the sides and top with oak and then painted them black with the fronts silver. Put the eggcrate foam inside from top to bottom, and I installed the vent (like I saw someone else here did)by epoxying them in inside and routering the fronts with a round over.
    Built the grills, and instead of using Andrew's choice of cloth insulation, I just used wood glue and staples. When the glue was dry, I removed the staples![​IMG]
    They sound very nice.[​IMG]
    I need to build a center channel using the woofer and tweeter now as my Athena center channel is not as clear as these are.
    Anybody selling some spare Sound Dynamics 100s for parts?[​IMG]
    Well here they are,kinda lousy photos as all I can do is use my video camera to capture stills.

Okay how do I post these photos here?[​IMG]

3. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

4. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

Thanks,I'll work on it.[​IMG]