Speaker quality and judgement: Onkyo HT-S760

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by DanielKellmii, Feb 29, 2004.

1. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

For my first foray into Home Theater I did some research and ended up with the Onkyo HTS760 HTiB. I was going to go with the Onkyo 501 receiver with the not quite entry JBL set of speakers but that didn't work out. I am not sure about the speaker quality. I like what I hear, especially from movies, but I am not sure about music. My previous stereo was a 9 year old AIWA "all-in-one" system with the original Pro-Logic (no-sub). Is it possible that music sounds better on that, or am I suffering from "familiarity breeds contentment?"
    I have a musical background, although it has been about 10 years since I have played with a jazz band or concert band and I listen to live music whenever possible. So, my point of view does come with some knowledge.
    Thanks

2. Nhan_H

Nhan_H Second Unit

Help me out here, since I'm confused by your questions.

Which JBLs were you referring to and why didn't it work out? Did you not like the sound? When you said you aren't sure about the speaker quality, which one are you referring to, the Onkyos or the JBLs?

Are you asking for a comparison between the Aiwa speakers and the Onkyo speakers when it comes to music? I would imagine that the Onkyos would sound better than the Aiwa boombox (?)

I wouldn't imagine that with your music background, you'd be happy with either system for music listening.

3. DanielKellmii

DanielKellmii Supporting Actor

Sometimes bad syntax I do have...:b Sorry about that.

I forget which JBLs, it was a home theater set with a powered subwoffer. I never got a chance to listen to them. It has to do with the wife. >sigh< long story but here is a quick summary.
    Boxes come home
    Wife gets mad
    Husband gets mad
    Husband feels bad
    Boxes go back to the store
    Wife feels bad
    Onkyo HTiB comes home (she read the reviews on CNET

It wasn't a boombox, just a bookshelf stereo.

Maybe I am being too picky. I know I will never recreate a live music experience in my home on my budget.