What's new

Speaker project (1 Viewer)

PhilMays

Stunt Coordinator
I have a design in mind, have bought a speaker building book, etc.

I want a high end system either two way or three way that has good punch in the bass and can go down to say in the lower 30 hz range.

I have researched speaker specs and read and reread the chapters on volume and tuning.

These speakers will be a ported design around 72" x 15" x 15".

Some questions,

1. If I use two woofers (say 2 10" drivers) do the
drivers double the required volume?

2. Would two 10" drivers or two 8" drivers give better
punch than a single 12" driver?

Thanks for your help. I know some of this may be sketchy as I offer no detail of the driver I'm considering. I'm simply looking for "a rule of thumb".

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Not necessarily. Look a the total Vd (Sd times Xmax). The higher the displacement the more air moved. Also depends on the quality of the drivers used. Two good 8" or 10" will sound better than one crappy 12". A good 12" will be better than a couple of cheap smaller drivers

PhilMays

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks ThomasW.

I will purchase drivers in the $150 range so hopefully they will be of good quality. currently I'm considering
Moral, Hi Vi Research, and Vifa.

I will not start this project any time in the imediate future as I want to learn more before I start.

Another question is that I am considering making the cabinet out of 3/4' MDF, isolating the mid range and tweeter, and porting to the top where the cabinet will be encased with 1x red oak on the top, back, and bottom, and sides. the port chamber will be 2" tall by 15" wide from the top, down the back, and under the bottom venting to the front.

Does that sound crazy?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
It's not a good idea to glue thick solid wood to MDF. (too much difference in expansion/contraction coefficients)Attach with mechanical fasteners.

If you actually want to glue the oak to the cabinet walls, build the cabinet from Baltic ply

PhilMays

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again ThomasW.

That's what I thought. I even thought of attaching mechanically by "furring strips" and where the port channel does not run I would sandwich with foam board.

oops...I just saw my specs I posted. The real specs are 72" x 19" x 20"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks