Speaker Problems

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Peter_James, Apr 29, 2005.

1. Peter_James

Peter_James Stunt Coordinator

I own a set of Mission M74i tower speakers. Just today while listening to some 2 channel music, i noticed that one of the speakers sounded kind of dull. I played music from various sources and even checked all the wiring. Even after this, the right speaker just didnt have the same sound. The power seems the same... and from what I can tell, the bass is the same. (Im not 100% sure about that.) But... vocals are lifeless. The other speaker sounds great. So... I switched them.... and now the left speaker is dull... so i ruled out a wiring or amp problem as the good one remained good... and the bad etc.. Any thoughts on this? Also, Im not convinced that this is a new problem... its possible that I just did not notice before,?!!? I can't see how that can be, but maybe. I didnt use them the last few months as i was traveling.

If you have seen (heard) of this before, please let me know.

Thanks,

-PJ

2. John S

John S Producer

Sure.. usually a blown mid and/or tweet. Quite common.

I think you most likely fried them in a session of loud use. Most often this is caused from actually under powering them for the volume you were attempting to listen at.

3. Peter_James

Yes, it is true... i had some friends over today and we were listening to some loud music for sure!! But I dont understand what you mean about "underpowering" them. I was listening to CD's .. a mix of rap... 80's and techno. But Underpowered? If i blew them out becasue I am listening loud (lots of power) then can you explain what you mean? (i dont know so much about this kind of thing.)

NOTE: Maybe yuou mean that my computer was set too low on the volume.. and i turned up the amp to hear it loud?

Amp: Yamaha RX-V450

CD Player: Mix of Toshiba DVD and Creative Audigy from my computer.

Thanks,

-PJ

4. Mark--M

Mark--M Stunt Coordinator

If an amp is rated for 100wpc and its driven over that, its putting out WAY more distortion (clipping). Part of the sound wave becomes DC and this kills tweeters.

A larger amp could put out the same amount of sound you were listening to without the distortion and the speakers would have been fine. Plus it sounds normal instead of sounding like crap.

5. Peter_James

I realize that I dont own a top end amp.. but the yamaha seems to have plenty of power...rated at 125st per, and these speakers are not power hungry. When i say LOUD it was nothing I had not done before. It was at a level that was rocking... but not like i was coming close to trying push the limit or anything.

Anyway..moving on i guess... i will contact the shop i bought the speakers at. I bought them 10 months ago... and Im not sure about warranty. Mission says 3 or 5 years ( i cant remember) but will that cover a mistake that it seems that i have made? I sure hope not. I spent a large ammont of my budget on these speakers... and i sure dont want to have to buy a new set. I guess im just not sure what "warranty" means.

Thanks for all the input guys.

-PJ

6. Mark--M

Mark--M Stunt Coordinator

Well any size amp can be driven to the point where it produces distorion, and they can all cause the same problem with speakers. A more powerful amplifier thats driven too far will blow the tweeters even faster. Just that you hear of the problem more often when people have a smaller amp trying to get more sound out of it.

Its also possible the signal going to the amp was distorted. Downloaded music can cause problems at times, and mp3 players do the same in some cases.

If it was an origional CD you were listening too, chances are the problem was having the volume cranked a little too high. Remember that full power is just below the point when you first hear any sign of distortion, and almost never when the knob hits 10. In many recievers full output will be reached much lower then this (4-6 in many cases), and if your boosting bass with the knobs on the amp or an EQ, youll run out of power even sooner.