What's new

Speaker problems. Thoughts??? (1 Viewer)

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
I have a pair of Triangle speakers, Titus 202's, that I am having an issue with. I just connected them to my Yamaha receiver and when I turn on the receiver they play fine. But after a period of time, let's say 1/2 hour or so, they begin to sound scratchy and garbled. If I crank the volume, the problem goes away, they become clear again and sound good until the next time. I disconnected them and substituted a pair of Infinity's and there was no problem. Ran them for a week. No problem. Put the Triangle's back, made sure all connections were solid, sounded great for a few days and then the same problem. For the first 1/2 hour or so they play fine and then the sound becomes scratchy. You can still hear dialog and music, but its obvious that the sound is compromised. Happens to both. Any ideas how I can check the speaker other than what I have done or any ideas as to what the issue might be? Its hard to believe that both would go at the exact same time and have the exact same problem :angry:

John S

Senior HTF Member
All the speakers or just one? Specs on the product? Are they veyr low impeadence speakers? There can be compitibility issues with many recievers if so.

If it is just one speakers, then you probably have a blown driver that only fails once it heats up, I doubt ever driver would be this way though, unless it is some inheirent flaw in that model number.

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
sounds to me like something else besides the speakers may be the culprit. have you left the infinities connected long enough to be absolutely certain that the problem NEVER occurs while they are connected?

AlbertD

Stunt Coordinator
The impedence on the speakers is 8 ohms sensitivity 91 db. So they should be easy to drive. The issue is with the midrange drivers from both speaker enclosures.

I left the Infinitys connected for a full week. No problems. As soon as I connect the Triangles, the issue crops up within a day or so. All the speakers in both enclosures work. And you can actually hear and understand the music and dialog. Its just that the music and dialog is garbled. The Yamaha receiver is 100 watts per channel times 5, but I only use it in stereo mode with effects off, which puts 125 watts per channel to both front channels. So I should have plenty of power.

Hard to believe that I have blown both drivers in both enclosures, but that's what it seems like. But why do they work sometimes and not others.

Verry puzzling.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks