What's new

Speaker Problem (1 Viewer)

Ken_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Hello, I'm not sure if this is the forum to report problems with your DVD Speakers, but I have to post this anyway. My DVD Player's Speakers (Optimus STA-5500 Digital Synthesized AM/FM Stereo Receiver) are not functioning properly, I get no sound when the A & B buttons are pressed down, and I only get sound when the A button isn't pressed down, but it's way too loud (not that I don't like loud volume, but sometimes I just want regular volume). Even when the sound is at 0 the volume is still way too loud. The Optimus STA-5500 DSAFSR functioned fine until now. How can I restore the volume properly?

BTW, my DVD Player is an Emerson and my TV is a Sony Trinitron (not sure which model, but I got it in the early 1990s).

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hello Ken,

Is this an April Fools post?

On the assumption that it is not I would ask/state the folowing:

I am not familiar with that receiver but in general when both A and B speaker buttons are not selected this equates to headphone mode...you will hear nothing without them. If you select both A/B you will not hear anything without a B circuit set of speakers.

You only hear sound when A is selected because you have your speakers wired to the A circuit and presumably do not have another front speaker set for B.

When you say " the sound is at 0 the volume is still way too loud" what exactly is the volume range numerically on that receiver from lowest to highest?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
If you only have one (1) PAIR of speakers connected to A or B speaker connections on your receiver you will never get sound from A or B if you press both buttons. The receiver needs a complete circuit to play A and B speakers and without connecting both speaker sets to both A and B you'll get no sound pressing both buttons.

So if you have one pairs of speakers connected, pressing one of the buttons, in your case, A will give you sound output through your speakers. Thats fine.

When did the volume become like this? Was it all of a sudden? You might need to disconnect your receiver and get some contact cleaning for the volume control knob. Follow the instructions and DO NOT turn the unit ON until it is totally dry. Knowing contact cleaner, I'd wait an hour at least.

Other than that, that might be something broken or damaged in the receiver.

Ken_Jones

Stunt Coordinator
Paul, this isn't an April Fool's joke, this is a serious matter. And the volume range on my receiver from highest to lowest is 100-0. There's no sound whatsoever when it's at 0, but that wasn't the case yesterday when I went to view my DVDs.

Chris, I don't think my receiver is broken or anything, I viewed some of my DVDs days ago and it was working fine. But I'll take your advice anyway, I'll get back to all of you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks