Speaker Problem or Not???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_Tho, Jan 11, 2003.

1. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

Today I played my Receiver loud with some micro satellite speakers (Sony). I started smelling a funky burning smell I immediatly turned it down. Heres the problem I went to play another song at low volume, and my speaker on the left sounded garbly, or trashy sounding. I thought for sure it was screwed! I got home tonight, and know the speaker is playing fine. Did I overheat the voicecoil, but catch it in time? And the reason it sounds okay is because it cooled down. Anyone?

2. Kurt Hectic

Kurt Hectic Auditioning

Are you sure the impedence of your speakers match up with the receiver?
    My friend once had a Klipsch subwoofer that heated up and started distorting. When he turned it off for a while and on again, it wasn't distorting anymore. After a few more uses, it heated up again until it blew up. He had to replace it under the warrantee. Apparently, he had a faulty unit.
    Anyways, I think you should talk about the problem with the store that sold you your audio system. [​IMG]

3. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

Put your nose up to the VC on the suspect driver...the smell of burnt VC is very obvious...but if it is all fine now you MAY have dodged a bullet. If you gently push the cone in and let it go back, do you hear ANY scratching noise? That is the sound of the VC rubbing agains the piston.

4. Brian_Tho

It was a home theater in a box. The sony ht-dw840. I do smell a burnt smell from the speakers the cone is not damaged. I heard scratching, and wierd noise right after, but like i said when i got home last night 8hours later I hooked played some music and it was back to normal. Is it because I overdrove the amp, and the speaker was clipping which intern caused the voicecoil not to move and overheat. Because I caught it in time is there any permanent damage to the speaker.

5. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

6. Brian_Tho

Tim I pushed the cone in numerous times and heard no scratching noise.