What's new

speaker preference (1 Viewer)

Aris A

Stunt Coordinator
What's crackin guys!! I'm in the market right now for a floorstander(tower speakers). If you were to choose one, would you be getting a speaker with one 12" driver or (2)6" drivers? Do they have different sound quality as far as bass is concern? Actually, I'm building myself a music setup. Separated my home theater setup.
;)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Music setup?? Go with the 12" for sure, unless you will have a sub in there too.

David Judah

Screenwriter
Is it a powered 12" sub built in? If so, there's usually not enough volume in the cabinet for it to work at its best, but for music only it won't be as critical as if you were using it for movies too. It then comes down to implementation, so you'll have to listen and make sure it has the characteristics you want at the volume you will normally listen at(some built in powered subs distort easily at higher volumes). As long as you keep it within its linear range, you shouldn't have a problem though.

The other option would be to get speakers with the smaller passive driver/s and a seperate sub(a sealed enclosure is often better for music)which will allow you to optimize the bass a bit better with some experimentation, but that route will probably cost a bit more.

DJ

JamesCB

Second Unit
Why 12" for sure? Two 6" have the same surface area and will perform just as well as one 12". IMO, smaller drivers are easier for the amp to control and will yield lower amounts of distortion (driver related). Also, IMO, don't bother with a sub in a music only setup, it's just a pain to integrate satisfactorily. I know some will disagree with me, but quality floorstanders for music listening usually don't require a sub. Unless of course you listen to alot of pipe organ recordings. Just my $0.02. Good luck.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Two 6" drivers, will still have general 6" driver characteristics, and a 12" driver will have general 12" driver characteristics.

I'll take the 12" driver characteristics in nearly all cases myself.

It is just preference though I admit, and I posted my preference. There may very well be some product exceptions out there indeed. But in general, especialy for music, I will take the 12" driver characteristics over the 6" driver characteristics, more then 99% of the time on sole low end duty. (without a sub)

Luitz

Stunt Coordinator
He said he wanted floorstanding speakers.
SO in that respect id say 2 6inch drivers + tweeter and buy a Subwoofer

Forget those old school garage speakers. Besides who other then cervin vega's makes floor speakers with 10 to 18 inch bass drivers. There big and ugly.

Or look at a Floor standing speaker with a 10 inch side firing Subwoofer built in, Such as NHT, Definitve , Energy and so on theres many to be seen and heard

Thats my 2cent Hope this helps;)

Peter_A_M

Stunt Coordinator

In my experience, buying a sub has done nothing but enhance the quality of my audio-music experience. A driver in a subwoofer cabinet is not much different from that same driver in a floorstander cabinet, except that while you can move the driver in a subwoofer cabinet to different places in the room to achieve the best bass response, you cannot easily do the same with the same driver in a floorstander cabinet.

Very much hope this helps,
Peter

JamesCB

Second Unit
OK, my math was a little off:b .

But,

I totally agree. But a floorstander capable of reaching the first octave is enough for most music.

Vital

Grip

What floor standing speakers have you been looking at? Paradigm, Klipsch, B&W, JBL, actually almost all mid/high end manufacturers use 10" or bigger woofers in their top of the line speakers.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I will "throw out" a suggestion for floorstanding speaker to audition -- Paradigm Monitor 7. I really like the sound of this speaker and is a great bargain.

cabreau

Second Unit
I'd look at the most expensive floorstanders known to man with the best 0.25 +/- dB rating from 20Hz-20kHz and then find the cheapest copy of them. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks