What's new

Speaker Power handling question (1 Viewer)

Willy_Loo

Auditioning
If a set of front speakers (8 ohms) has a power handling specs as follows:

Power Handling (Continuous/Peak): 110
Watts/440 Watts

is it ok to drive it with a 120W per channel receiver (Yamaha RX-V2400)? Would there be a strain in receiver performance as I build my HT system and add surrounds/subwoofer/center?

Willy_Loo

Auditioning
Continued from first post...

What about a speaker set of Power Handling (Continuous/Peak): 125 Watts/500 Watts?

Johnny_M

Second Unit
I'm sure someone here can better explain the continous/peak definitions, but i wouldn't worry about your reciever at all. Speakers will usually blow long before your receiver ever does. Most receivers have an amp for each channel, so adding surrounds should not effect the fronts at all, and the sub will usually have its own amp anyway.

johnny

"I could be wrong, but I doubt it."

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Don't be worried about those little differences in wattage ratings. They mean almost nothing, and the average power delivered to your speakers is almost never more than 10 watts, even with very loud music. I'd say the only thing you need to do to protect your equipment is turn it down if you hear any kind of obvious distortion.

Steven_E_S

Auditioning
Say if your amp is rated at 100 watts and your speakers are 120 what you have to be careful of is clipping the amp into the speakers. Your rated speakers would be more safe with a 300 amp watt putting clean 250 watts into the speakers than 75 watt amp clipping into them. So no matter what the amps/speakers rateings are just don't overdrive the amp into clipping which will destroy the tweeters in a heart beat. Others should be able to explain this much better than I just did.
Steve

Philip>L

Stunt Coordinator
The receiver's specs should have some indication of what happens when you play in stereo mode versus multichannel mode with regard to power and performance.

While the receiver may use individual amplifiers for each channel, all the amplifiers are still fed from the same power supply which may or may not be a limiting factor depending on the design.

But with the kinds of numbers you're talking about you shouldn't worry at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks