What's new

Speaker positioning Please help! (1 Viewer)

Bickelmp

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Hello I am new here but have been browsing this sight for a while. We recently moved into our current house and i recently purchased a new 50" lg tv and an onkyo surround sound.. Nothing special the surround is the Onkyo HT-S3500.. It should serve its purpose for my current budget...However my interior decorator/Wife hates the idea of having surround speakers "They are hideous" I can probably get away with the front channels as they are but the rears are going to have to go in the ceiling...(Still deciding on which in-ceiling speakers Aim8's?). I used to be a car audio buff and I realise the Onkyo setup probably won't blow me away with sound quality bu I'm sure it will beat the pants off of what have now...which is nothing lol. Ok back to the real question here. I attached a diagram with my space and how the main furniture is arranged (This is my decorators requirement) The blue boxes are the front speakers and the blue circles would be the approximate location of the rear in ceiling speakers (I plan on getting a pair with at least aimable tweeters). the sub will probably wind up behind the tv stand. Do any of you see a major problem with this setup? would in wall be better? different locations? IT's just the two of us and we usually sit on the couch. I noticed this receiver does have adjustments for speaker distance from the listener.
Thank you in advance for your input!

living surround.png

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll let others help with the speaker placement.

But, if you haven't heard the sound of the Onkyo system yet, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

My son has one of the Onkyo units (the 5400, I believe). It really does a nice job for the price. And the best part is that you can upgrade each of the pieces when you get the bug. Good choice to get started! :thumbsup:

Welcome to the HTF! :welcome:

Bickelmp

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Thanks for the confidence boost on the receiver... I'm starting to think I should have went with one of the higher models and the powered sub.. we shall see.
And glad to be here!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Nothing wrong with those spots*. I would have gone with a cheap AVR (under $150 at A4L) with a front channel LCR bar(Parts Express) and a subwoofer from BIC or Parts Express.*If the nonsense says where they have to go. I'm lucky my GF plays an upright bass and grand piano. She gets "big sound requires big speakers". It took 3 weeks to place the grand piano to where the reverb was to her liking.

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
It's a challenging room. I'd try to move the couch off the back wall a couple of feet if possible. Right against the back wall is going to give you some muddy sounding bass. If you're not able to do that, you could put some acoustic treatment behind the couch to help with this. It may not be possible for you, but the ideal situation would be to arrange your speakers and seating along the long axis of the room. Not doing this is going to create some sonic issues for you that no room correction can fix. Having said that, sometime we just have to do the best with what we have and enjoy the show. Best of luck!

Bickelmp

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Thank you for all of your input.. Currently I just have to try and get the speakers positioned as good as can be as the better half insists that the room wouldn't look right with the tv mounted on the wall and it must go in the corner.. Oh well I'll be happy no matter what because it will be ten fold better than before!!! I'll just have to start designing the theater/bar area perhaps a little sooner than I thought

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks