What's new

speaker placement (1 Viewer)

RandyT

Auditioning
this is probably a rookie question, but i have to ask it anyway. i am building a home theater in my basement(12x20) and i was wondering how to best place boston acoustics dipole rear surrounds, as in side wall or rear wall? i have a 50inch tv so seating will be 12 to 14 feet from the screen. any help would be nice. thanx:b

Scott_Vonhof

Agent
dipole speakers work best when they are used in a side mount configuration. If your receiver supports 7.1, then you could later add the rear speakers using regular Boston speakers, front firing.

BTW, put your dipoles even with your seating area, so that you are sitting in what is called the "null" area. Basically, the area where you cannot hear the speaker directly from a driver, the tweeter, which is the most directional of all the drivers.

Gary Thomas

Second Unit
To add to what Scott said: place them directly to the sides of your seating areas so you are sitting in the "null", 6 feet or so off the floor. I originally had mine place at head level, but was told by a HT Consultant (Dennis Erskine) to place them above head level at an equal height from the floor. It made a significant improvement in my room. I believe you can see how one of my dipole surrounds is placed in my HT Pics, which are linked below.

Will Orth

Stunt Coordinator
Well i have mine "built in the wall" left-right screen monitors, the center is below the screen and the bass port-6 th order sub system is blelow that and my rear surrround is spread out wide due to my room size.

Will

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks