What's new

Speaker placement (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I am trying to decide between a 6.1 and a 7.1 speaker set up in my new room. I have the amplification and speakers to do either so that's not the issue...what is the issue is speaker placement for both set ups. I have a door on my back wall which is right in the way if I were to set up two rear speakers properly for 7.1. I could mount a single rear centre right beside the door though for 6.1 leaving the rears on the side walls someplace (either b/t the two rows of seating or behing the last row) If I go 7.1 I'd have two sides between the two rows of seating and the two back speakers would be placed in the corners at the back of the room angled towards the sweet spot...so basically what I'm asking is which setup would you do?

James Elvick

Supporting Actor
Hi Andrew,

No way to use 2 speakers on either sides of the door instead of away in the corners? 7.1 setups are actually suggested to have the 2 speakers fairly close together, closer than I originally thought anyway. How high are the surrounds now and how high will you placing them?

James Elvick

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
James my speakers are all maggies so they are 5 feet tall if vertical. I'm guessing that the 6.1 setup will be better but even then the rear centre will be slightly off set to the left a bit...which is why I was thinking of the corner placement for the two rears.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
here's a shot of the back of the room with the two proposed speakers placement...unfortunatly the door was open when I took this picture so you'll have to imagine the door is closed. There's actually plenty of room behind the door for the speaker to be placed facing the seats.
6.1 setup
6.1.jpg

7.1 setup
7.1.jpg

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Well, the one thing about the back channels is that if one speaker is firing at the back of your head you may confuse the sound as coming from in front of you, not behind.

It has to do with our brain/hearing not being able to accurately place sounds that are coming directly from behind.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks