1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Speaker Placement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ten_Smith, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Ten_Smith

Ten_Smith Stunt Coordinator

Just got new speakers (Acoustic Researc 2062) and was planning on putting them in a book shelf. 2 questions:

1) The manual says the front of these speakers should be flush with the front of the bookshelf. Why is this? Do I have to do it?

2) These speakers have a port on the back (for the woofer I assume). How much space should I give between the back of the speaker and the back of the book shelf?

I estmimated placing the speaker 1/2 the radius of the port away from the wall will provide enough room for air movement by comparing the surface area of a circle--the port--to that of a cylinder wall. However, I'm not sure how appropriate this is since it does not take account of acoustics.

2. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

1) The speakers will simply sound better if they are not pushed way back into a shelf.

2) The more distance you can leave between the back of the speaker and the shelf the better. Because the speakers are rear ported, if you don't leave enough space in the back the bass will sound muddy and possibly boomy.

Hope this helps,

Paul

3. Ten_Smith

Ten_Smith Stunt Coordinator

Thanx Paul that does help a lot, especially with #1. I'll have to test and see.

I guess I'm wondering to what degree the port is meant to alow the woofer to travel freely, and to what extent it is meant to transmit sound. Based on your answer I guess it is also meant to transmit sound.